Sunday, January 19, 2020

Songs Of The Week, 2020: 1/11-1/17



Entre Nous- Rush
Cinema Paradiso (Love Theme)- George Mraz Trio
African Love Call- The Aggrovators
I'll Never Get Over You- John Hiatt
Dance- ESG
The Rocker- Thin Lizzy
I Don't Want To Hear Anymore- Paul Carrack

zip

Entre Nous- Rush
I listened to a lot of Rush in the wake of Neil Peart's death. This track is in my Top Ten.

Cinema Paradiso (Love Theme)- George Mraz Trio
I had a dream where I was fighting with some friends over what movie we should go to and for some reason, I was insisting we see "Cinema Paradiso." I woke up and of course thought about it and recalled having this beautiful track in iTunes.

African Love Call- The Aggrovators
This is from an excellent 3 LP set of Bunny Lee productions. Just about every song is a gem, but I particularly love the vibe of this one.

I'll Never Get Over You- John Hiatt
I mentioned John Hiatt's post-"Crossing Muddy Waters" catalogue in my year end post and I have been doing excatly what I had suggested, listening to it. "The Tiki Bar Is Open" might be my new fave Hiatt. It's a real rocker and just about every song is a hook-filled winner. This is one my favorites.

Dance- ESG
I picked up a reissue of ESG's debut, something I haven't listened to in over 35 years. It still held up and was still a whole lotta fun.

The Rocker- Thin Lizzy
With all this RNRHOF talk and who is and isn't rock and roll, this song was inevitable.

I Don't Want To Hear Anymore- Paul Carrack
I picked up a 2 LP set called Paul Carrack "Collected." It's a smart collection that also comes in a 3 CD set, covering Carrack's long career, with tracks by Ace, Squeeze, Mike & The Mechanics, as well as solo tracks, duets and guest spots. I was amazed by how many records he has released that I somehow missed. This track is from "I Know That Name," and features some Eagles harmonizing. I wondered how that could have happened and found out that the Eagles covered this Carrack tune on their "Long Road Out Of Eden" record. I prefer this version.

3 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

Very nice -- Thanks Sal.

I've fallen down a Paul Carrack black hole this week -- nice place to be. Next stop "new" John Hiatt :-)

Troy said...

I have really enjoyed all of Hiatt's post CMW albums. The only one that didn't knock me out was Terms of My Surrender. All the rest are terrific.

dogbreath said...

You and me both vis-a-vis playing a lot of Rush last week. Saw Cinema Paradiso sooo long ago, a great movie, don't recall the love theme so the track is v welcome. Always loved the Hiatt and Lizzy tracks. A nicely packed zip, many thanks. Cheers!