Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Redd Krosses





With all that's been going on, it's been difficult to get a hold on releases, new or reissued, as dates keep changing, or in some cases, cancelled altogether. One particularly slow day last week, I scrolled through over 100 pages of Amazon pre-orders, trying to catch up on what was coming. (I actually did the same thing a few weeks ago, as well, and that was when I found the Irma Thomas I posted yesterday.)

This week's discoveries are two Redd Kross records on the Third Man label, that were quietly dropped the first week of May. (Okay, maybe it wasn't really quiet, but I sure didn't hear about it. )

1993's "Phaseshifter" and my personal fave, 1997's "Show World," both get very nice vinyl pressings, with clean mastering and first class packaging. "Show World" has never had a vinyl release in the U.S., so this is particularly good news for me.

If these interest you, you can click here for more info.

"Show World" has been killing me since its initial release in 1997, specifically the track "Mess Around."

True Story:
The "Show World" CD was playing at my shop one busy Saturday afternoon, at an ungodly volume, and I got a bit lost in the aforementioned track, "Mess Around." I had been playing a bit of air guitar and singing the harmony about as loud as the CD itself and failed to notice these three kids, maybe 14 or 15 years old, waiting to check out with some CDs in hand. I remember one kid vividly, as he was Brian Jones' twin.  I caught myself and laughed, "Oops. Sorry. " And the Brian Jones kid said, "You're a dick!" His friends laughed, they all dropped their CDs on the counter and walked out.

And now...here's "Mess Around" by Redd Kross.





7 comments:

kevin m said...

I've always loved Redd Kross. Last year's "Beyond the Door" release is a blast.

Anonymous said...

I miss Eddie

Anonymous said...

Got 'em ordered - thanks for the heads up.

2012's Researching The Blues is the only one I've got (digital on computer) and I'm not very familiar with it.

"Mess Around" is right in my wheelhouse. Thanks again!

Randy

heartsofstone said...

Redd Kross have been good for so long it is easy to take them for granted.

cmealha said...

What a heart-warming story

Shriner said...

"Researching The Blues" is everything a "reunion" album should be -- vital, strong songs, insanely catchy -- it was my absolutely favorite album of 2012 (and it's hard to believe 8 years have passed since that came out...)

M_Sharp said...

Excellent band, they shouda been contenders by now. Funny story!