Sunday, May 24, 2020

Songs Of The Week, 2020: 5/16-5/22



Might Just Take Your Life- Deep Purple
We're Gonna Groove- Led Zeppelin
I Laugh In Your Face- Bee Gees
Birmingham Blues- ELO
Waterfalls- Paul McCartney
Lisa Says- Lou Reed
Chicken Wired- Ronnie Lane

zip

Might Just Take Your Life- Deep Purple
The first single from the last truly great Deep Purple record, 1974's "Burn."

We're Gonna Groove- Led Zeppelin
Recorded during the LZ I sessions and shelved until 1982's "Coda." A killer groove, and a typical Zep appropriation. Check out Ben E. King's original "Groovin'," if you don't know it.

I Laugh In Your Face- Bee Gees
Listened to all four sides of "Odessa" last week and loved it so much more than I remembered, especially this track.

Birmingham Blues- ELO
Interesting iPod occurrence- this track played, followed by another ELO instrumental that I did not immediately place. Turned out to be "Supertzar" by Black Sabbath and not ELO, but I found it interesting that both bands were from Birmingham, and though worlds apart musically, these songs sounded like they belonged together. (Hey, it takes little to amuse me these days.)

Waterfalls- Paul McCartney
Listened to all of "McCartney II" this week and like the Bee Gees "Odessa," it also sounded so much better than I'd remembered.

Lisa Says- Lou Reed
I don't know why this record gets a bad rap. I was reading a thread about how terrible the sound on the vinyl is...it isn't...and how the versions of the VU demos were inferior...they aren't. Plus, Steve Howe on guitar!

Chicken Wired- Ronnie Lane
A rowdy little number to tie things up from the great Ronnie Lane.


4 comments:

neal t said...

Odessa is a gem. recommended by my sophomore HS English teacher!

Mike Ragogna said...

Weekends too? GOD you're dedicated!!!!

A walk in the woods said...

Thanks for this, Sal!

dogbreath said...

Crikey! Not often Deep Purple makes the zip & it's a fab track to boot. And dear old Ronnie Lane, wrote some great stuff in the Faces too, to finish off. Thanks & cheers!