Sunday, May 31, 2020

Songs Of The Week, 2020: 5/23-5/29



Something Inside Of Me- Fleetwood Mac
Free Me- Free
Penguins- Lyle Lovett
Miracle Goodnight- David Bowie
I'll Get By- Swag
Tip Of My Tongue- Paul Carrack
How Can I- Steve Hackett & Richie Havens

zip 

Something Inside Of Me- Fleetwood Mac
I dig all of the Mac's lineups. Well, maybe not the Burnette/Vito/Bramlett era. But the Peter Green years are unbeatable, not just by FMac standards, but as an entity all its own.

Free Me- Free
And speaking of British blues, this attack by Paul Kossoff is just a tad more subtle than Jeremy Spencer's on the previous track, but no less brilliant.

Penguins- Lyle Lovett
"Penguins are so sensitive...to my needs." I couldn't agree more, Lyle.

Miracle Goodnight- David Bowie
A friend posted this one on Instagram and that made me happy. I can't be the only one who thinks this record is Bowie's lost gem.

I'll Get By- Swag
My favorite power pop album. Period. I played "Catch-All" four times a day for about a year when it came out. Drove everyone in my shop mad. But it's been years, so I pulled it out again and it sounded better than ever.

Tip of My Tongue- Paul Carrack
Just about nearing the end of the Will Birch/Nick Lowe book and still have Nick and friends on the brain. I love this track and the way the background vocals persist for the finale. A real beauty.

How Can I- Steve Hackett & Richie Havens
This is from the Genesis guitarist's second solo album, "Please Don't Touch," one of two tracks featuring Richie Havens. If you're not a Genesis fan, this may surprise you. If you are a Richie Havens fan, and you don't know this track, dig in.

10 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

Hey Sal,

The download gives me Songs Of The Week, 2020: 3/7-3/13 -- that one with the Equals Baby Come Back / Hold Me Closer.

Pilot error on my end or yours?

Sal Nunziato said...

Oops. My error, of course.
Try now.
Sorry'bout that chief.

JAYESSEMM said...

We have liftoff!

I love the Paul Carrack!

Dr Wu said...

Thank you for the reminder about Swag - revisiting their ‘Catch-all’ album which remains pure power pop perfection. Segue: Monday’s post of McCartney’s ‘Great Day’ initiated an afternoon of listening to ‘Flaming Pie’ as well as his more recent albums and concluding with his first two solo albums. In the middle I played ‘Wings at the Speed of Sound’ which, in that context, surprisingly fit in very nicely. Loved ‘em all! It was a great day indeed. Re: ‘Miracle Goodnight’ - as I recall from reading Chris O’Leary, the album ‘Black Tie White Noise’ was influenced by the Rodney King riots in 1992. Sad that nearly 30 years on, history repeats. Thank you for all you do. Best wishes to you and everyone.

dogbreath said...

Kossoff on form was simply brilliant (IMO, E&OE) & no argument on the Bowie. Thanks for doing up the zip. Cheers!

Chris Collins said...

oddly that "Penguins" song has been living in my head for about 25 years. thanks for bringing it back

heartsofstone said...

A particularly awesome mix. Swag is the best!

Doug Powell said...

Thanks for the Swag shout out! Glad the record still has life in it for you. Bit of trivia: I'll Get By was actually written on spec for a band called Swirl 360, who were label mates with me on Mercury. They passed, so Swag added it to the set. Same thing happened for our song Every Day is Christmas, though that was for Hanson.

Sal Nunziato said...

@Doug Powell
Thanks for the info. I remember liking half of that Swirl 360 record. Pretty sure Ken from The Posies had something to do with a few songs, too.

Doug Powell said...

@Sal Nunziato - At the risk of wearing out the Swag reference, here's a great bit of synchronicity. My son, Julian, plays guitar for Soccer Mommy, who recorded their latest record, Color Theory, at the same studio as Catch-all. That makes me officially old.