Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Steely Todd



Listening to Todd Rundgren on Paul Myers' Record Store Day podcast yesterday, I found out that Todd Rundgren and Donald Fagen had worked together prior to Rundgren's 2017 record of collaborations "White Knight." Apparently, Fagen and his wife moved to Hawaii, Rundgren's long time place of residence, in 2001, to escape the aftermath of 9/11 in NYC. Don & Todd saw each other regularly and in 2006, recorded a cover of Al Green's "Rhymes" for a Fagen project. That project ended up being Fagen's "Morph The Cat," but the collaboration was shelved. "Rhymes" turned up later as a bonus track on Fagen's "Cheap Xmas" boxed set.

I love when this happens.

Here it is, brand new to me, but possibly old news to you.

And if you weren't aware of the 2017 collaboration, here is "Tin Foil Hat," as well.




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... news to me as well. Nice track.

Any word on his reported second album of collaborations?

Randy

Sal Nunziato said...

Any word on his reported second album of collaborations?

Yes Randy. He's in the middle of it now. Sparks, Adrian Belew, The Roots, Rivers Cuomo. Neil Finn, a few others I can't recall.

A walk in the woods said...

Nice!! Three of my favorites... although I'm a bit hard-pressed to hear Todd's contribution to "Rhymes."

Sal Nunziato said...

@AWITW
Funny, you are the second Todd fan (the other, an old pal of mine) who said the same thing regarding Todd's contribution. Aside from playing keys, he's singing the lines on the chorus, which to my ears, sounds like no one but Todd.

A walk in the woods said...

Ah, now I hear it! What about the whistling? That does sound Toddsy to me too.

Troy said...

I almost forgot that I have this. A friend shared the bonus tracks from all of the DF solo albums a couple of years ago. Morph the Cat is not my favorite, and I don't get around to playing it much, so I rarely hear the Rhymes tune (even though it is pretty good). I listen to The Nightfly and Kamikiriad a lot more, and so know those bonus tracks better.

Thanks for the reminder on this one.

dogbreath said...

Bonzer! Perfect for my day today. Cheers....

Noam Sane said...

Great track - I discovered it on the bonus disk of the Fagen box set a few years back. Another fine number there that was never released is "Confide in Me."

I like to listen to Mana'o Radio KMNO 91.7 in Wailuku, HI using the Radio Garden phone app (free & highly recommended!) - Fagen pops up doing station IDs from time to time. I guess it must be nice to just decide to move to paradise and go. I doubt I'll ever escape from Plumber's Butt, PA.

cmealha said...

Thanks for turning me on to "Rhymes". Wasn't aware of this track nor the original. Great song and both are great recordings.

soundsource said...

WPW thanks for Rhymes didn't know that and it's great