Tuesday, June 23, 2020

I Want To Take You Deeper



Normally when I hear a song that I'd like to share, I slide it over into the "Song Of The Day" folder and when I am inspired to take it further, I do. But I didn't want this song to get lost, as I know many don't check in everyday, and even more won't unzip the "Songs Of The Week" folder if the set list doesn't interest them.

This 1967 Sly & The Family Stone track sits snugly on Disc Two or Side Five of the 2013 boxed set "Higher." I've owned this set since its release, and visit with it from time to time, never having just started from the beginning and continuing through till the end. There's a lot to digest and each LP really has something new and different, so it's easy to randomly choose a side or two and be thoroughly entertained.

"I Know What You Came To Say" was not part of any of the expanded CD remasters and remained unreleased until the "Higher" set. It struck me as something very special, and not very typical of early Sly, which could be why it sat around in the vault. I believe it is Jerry Martini, one of the horn players in the Family Stone who calls it "one of the most soulful things we've ever done" in the box notes.

Needless to say, I loved it enough to write all of this.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sly is one of the many artists I love but just haven't listened to with enough consistency to achieve maximum enjoyment. I've had the digital "Higher" compilation on my computer for years and will now peruse and pick out the gems like "I Know What You Came To Say" to put on my Ipod.

Great post, thanks!

Randy

pmac said...

If you had given me endless guesses, I never would have picked Sly & The Stone as the artist on that song. Very nice -thx for posting it.

Robin said...

I have chills, that's gorgeous and so soulful. Love Sly. Thank you!

Whattawino said...

I might have thought Donny Hathaway had I not known it was Sly. Damn fine!