Thursday, July 23, 2020

Paul Weller's Best? Might Be.






I've seen Paul Weller's new record "On Sunset" described as "the most overtly soul and funk-infused" record since The Style Council. Actually, I think The Jam had more funk and soul in their frenetic, Who-inspired, three minute blasts of mod punk than anything on the Style Council records, which I always thought sounded cold, like so much of the manufactured and synthetic pop of the 80's, a few solid singles aside.

That said, I think Weller's new record is indeed full of soul, but even more important, "On Sunset" doesn't rely on style or trends like so much of his solo career. Every song within feels like it could be a single. The songs here are natural and accessible, and yes the Philly strings, occasional Tamla/Motown backing vocals and funky beats all add to it. But "On Sunset" doesn't lose its way, like some of Weller's recent work. This is a straight forward pop record as much as it is a soul record and it plays beautifully.

There are a few hints of Weller's past, like the lovely one-two of "Equanimity" and "Walkin'," the former sounding like a title theme from a mid-70's Neil Simon flick and the latter like every AM radio pop hit from the early 70's. And I can't help but think of both Oasis and The Verve while listening to the the finale, "Rockets." Still, "On Sunset" is mostly what it aims to be, with elements of Marvin Gaye, pre-MTV Hall & Oates and even a bit of Isaac Hayes wig out on the track "More."

The heart of this record beats like the heart of all those great records by The Jam and the heart of Weller's finest solo work. I love this record and it is by far, the best thing Paul Weller has done since "Stanley Road," and I love a lot of his solo records, especially "22 Dreams," "Illumination" and "Wake Up the Nation." But "On Sunset" made me do something I haven't done in ages...I dropped the needle right back on Side One as soon as it was over.

Pop? Soul? Let's just do away with the labels. "On Sunset" is one terrific record and it is a current contender for one of the very top spots of 2020.












14 comments:

Shriner said...

I'll have to give it another spin. Weller's solo albums (one a year it feels like) are always enjoyable to me, but never stick around in my memory that long ("Illumination" was the last *great* one for me). But, I never feel like I've wasted time listening to a solo PW album -- they are always pleasant enough!

buzzbabyjesus said...

I would never guess those songs were by Paul Weller, but they sure are good.

daudder said...

Agree 100%.Walkin, On Sunset, and most especially Baptiste sound both fresh and timeless.

Anonymous said...

The same guy who penned “Long Hot Summer”. Is it a bass that beautiful sound all through the song?
Paul Weller, anytime. Good he is back again
Roy

Bill said...

The opening song turns me off a little, but I think the rest of the album is great. Some toe-tappers for sure.

Sal Nunziato said...

@Bill,
I just listened to the record again while reading a short interview with Weller in Mojo. "Mirror Ball" was originally a bonus track for "True Meanings" but he thought it was better than a bonus track and it really didn't fit on "True Meanings." I dig the track, but it really doesn't belong on "On Sunset" either. Def not the way to set up the record.

Bill said...

That makes sense, Sal. Will have to listen to it again and maybe it will reveal its wonders to me.

:)


PS: I made a comment on one your Now Playing posts a day or two ago and saw that it didn't get posted. Did it not come through to you? No worries either way--maybe I forgot to his "Publish".

Sal Nunziato said...

@Bill,
Most recent Now Playing comment was about the Dylan, which is there, as well as my reply. Was there another? If so, I did not get it.

Bill said...

Nope, that was it. I didn't see it last time I looked.

Thanks for the reply!

Michael Giltz said...

Agreed!

ken49 said...

Paul Weller, Richard Thompson, Neil Finn and maybe a few others are great songsters. They all have a pretty pretty high batting average. It is difficult to keep up with someone's career when they have put out a high volume of product over the years. I just recently been playing Thompson's Mirror Blue and Weller's Heliocentric which I had never heard and these are their less celebrated work. Amazing writers.

A Walk In The Woods said...

Thanks for shining a light on this... he puts out so many records, and I'm not a huge fan to start with, that I would have easily missed this if not for your review.

It sounds great to me... putting it on my list to pick up at the record store.

kevin m said...

Sal, after reading your review and Weller's interview in MOJO I decided to download On Sunset. Have only listened to it 2x but so far, really enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

This is a solid album, and worth checking out the "deluxe" edition which has 5 extra tracks. Read about it here https://www.superdeluxeedition.com/news/paul-weller-bonus-tracks-confirmed/

Paul in DK