Sunday, August 2, 2020

Songs Of The Week, 2020: 7/25-7/31



Tell Moses- Shawn Colvin & Steve Earle
I Don't Want To Cry- Tony & Dennis
No Time To Lose- Earth & Stone
Teen Town-  Weather Report
Bosco Stomp- Octa Clark & Hector Duhon
Now We're Getting Somewhere- Crowded House
When I'm President- Ian Hunter & The Rant Band

zip

Tell Moses- Shawn Colvin & Steve Earle
This collaboration from Shawn and Steve is a grower. It didn't kill me at first and some of the covers still don't. But I think the original tunes are terrific.

I Don't Want To Cry- Tony & Dennis
No Time To Lose- Earth & Stone
There are literally hundreds of Trojan Records compilations. LPs, CDs, boxed sets, 3 CD sets, 10 LP sets, themed boxes, roots, ska, "boss," etc. I never realized just how musically valuable they all were until I tried to buy individual records by the artists that struck a chord. These two tracks shuffled up on different days from some of those boxed sets and I love both. Both impossible to find outside of the aforementioned Trojan compilations. Some of these singles never got beyond test pressings. Hope ya dig-em a little bit.

Teen Town- Weather Report
This came to me after the fact, another perfect example for this week's post about who plays what. Bassist extraordinaire Jaco Pastorius wrote this tune for the "Heavy Weather" record and it has since become his signature song. The bass playing is insanely good, but so is the drumming, which is also JACO!

Bosco Stomp- Octa Clark & Hector Duhon
This was a nice breath of fresh air during an iPod shuffle marathon and I am hoping it does the same here.

Now We're Getting Somewhere- Crowded House
The feel good tune of 1987! (Well, I thought so.) The first song I heard from the band, not knowing it was Neil Finn of Split Enz. I was a fan of The Enz, but it was this song that made me a Neil fan forever. And it is pretty damn uplifting!

When I'm President- Ian Hunter & The Rant Band
And speaking of uplifting...the man, the legend and a late career mini-masterpiece.



5 comments:

pmac said...

Fantastic comp! Lost Bayou Ramblers do a great version of Bosco Stomp. I didn't know about that Earle - Colvin lp until you posted a song from it a week or so ago. Agree with your assessment; 4 or 5 songs are wonderful. The rest fall flat.

Anonymous said...

Totally unrelated, but I don't have another way to ask if you've heard this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qs1J612nZs
There's another, longer version if you follow the link in the video, but the two featured Joe Morello solos in it don't add to the song (and I LOVE Joe Morello solos!)
C in California

dogbreath said...

Thanks - especially for those Trojans. As for Mr Hunter - wouldn't it be nice? Cheers!

Sal Nunziato said...

@C In Calif
This video confused me. First I thought, "The Stranglers covered Brubeck?!" Then, I thought "Is the music manipulated?" I finally saw that it was a new trio recording put to old video. Once that was over, I enjoyed it. :)

Anonymous said...

Puh-leeze don't hesitate to add those ol' rock-steady/bluebeat/ska songs to your playlists. I too have gleaned tons from those Trojan comps, but I had neither of the gems you posted here. And here's a belated thanks for that Leigh Harris cover of Oklahoma USA on your 'O' comp. I'd never heard of her, but dang was that a great version!
C in California