Sunday, August 16, 2020

Songs Of The Week, 2020: 8/8-8/14



The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3 (Main Title)- David Shire
Love Child- The Supremes
Crazy Bout My Baby- Robert Moseley
Grande Piano- Stackridge
So Many Things- John Bromley
Baby Forever- Andy Fraser Band
Seeland- Neu

zip

The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3 (Main Title)- David Shire
One of my favorite movies of the 70s, and like so many great movies of that era, the original music was just as important. Think of those piercing horns and pounding drums in "The French Connection" courtesy of Don Ellis, or that funky fusion of bass, drums and vibes in "Dirty Harry," courtesy of Lalo Schifrin. Well, David Shire's score from "The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3" is another stand out for me and I thought it would be a great way to begin...

Love Child- The Supremes
...and this track came to mind as a great follow-up. There's something about the strings and percussion and vibe...

Crazy Bout My Baby- Robert Moseley
From last week's 45 party, I first heard this in the movie "Green Book," and loved it. B-Side is good, too.

Grande Piano- Stackridge
From the band's 1971 debut, also found on the excellent "Lullabies For Catatonics" boxed set, which is where the iPod shuffle pulled it from. I love this track. The band describes themselves as being influenced by The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Syd Barrett, Frank Zappa, Gilbert & Sullivan, J.S. Bach, The Marx Brothers and Flanders & Swann. Who am I to argue?

So Many Things- John Bromley
First heard this on my pal Sal Maida's radio show a couple of weeks ago and it stuck. A great slice of late 60's psych pop, with Bromley being backed by cult freakbeat band Les Fleur Des Lys.

Baby Forever- Andy Fraser Band
I had the Andy Fraser album for years and for the life of me, couldn't remember anything about it. Then, Sal Maida strikes again on that same radio show. I've got a "One Sentence Review" coming up, so I won't give too much away. But I love the track.

Seeland- Neu
I love those first three Neu records, and this track from "Neu '75" is a personal favorite. Once it begins, I feel magnetically drawn to it. I think it's a beautiful piece of music. Let's see what you think.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my fave bands for the Song Of The Day. Today's Cover Version of a song I was introduced to via this very site (If I recall, you were unsure if you liked it, but I had no problem with the old school flavor, big drums, catchy chorus). And another selection of songs I have (Love Child and Crazy 'Bout My Baby) and ones I know nothing about. Sounds like another example of why I come here daily.
C in California

Anonymous said...

love that Andy Fraser Band album. took me a long time to play it, too, cos it LOOKS like a light r&b album, sort of what Jeremy Spenser was doing mid-70's and no thanks. corse, Fraser followed up with a pretty good r&b album.

dogbreath said...

The original Pelham movie is the best of the two, don't you think, and agreed that fab score drives it along. And crikey! Stackridge? I'm impressed you've got them in there somewhere. They defied compartmentalizing a lot of the time and I recall when the whole band came on stage they seemed to number two entire football sides (that's soccer teams - US Ed). Thanks for zipping it. Cheers!

heartsofstone said...

Great call on the Pelham soundtrack. And Neu in the same mix. Wow.