Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Whoosh


 

Deep Purple has a new record out. It's called "Whoosh" and it is produced by Bob Ezrin. A few things surprised me about "Whoosh." The first, Bob Ezrin did not ruin it. The second, it's really good.

The last Deep Purple record I listened to was 1993's "The Battle Rages On," which I believe was the last with Ritchie Blackmore. Since then, DP has released 7 studio albums and 7 live albums with guitarist Steve Morse, who I believe has now been with the band longer than Blackmore.

I put on "Whoosh" on a whim--couldn't wait to write that---and I listened to it all. Another surprise.

This isn't one of the best records of 2020, but it is amazing that a band who has been around for over 50 years can produce something that sounds so consistent. Ian Gillan's voice doesn't quite reach that screech---couldn't wait to write that either---but it still has some power. The rhythm section of Roger Glover & Ian Paice sounds as good as ever. And long time, hard rocking vet and Blackmore alumnus Don Airey does his best Jon Lord when he needs to. As for Steve Morse, he more than holds his own as a guitar hero, even if he never really gets that Blackmore tone.

Most of "Whoosh" is basic hard rock. It's only occasionally silly, and DP absolutely does not embarrass themselves. This is a very good record. 

If you've been a Deep Purple fan all these years and have listened to everything, I'd be interested in what you think about not only "Whoosh," but the last 25 years of output. All of the Morse stuff is a mystery to me. For me, that run from "Shades Of Deep Purple" through "Burn" remains some of my favorite music of all time, and "Whoosh" made me unexpectedly happy.

 


 


4 comments:

Softshoebanana said...

I haven't dipped my toe...how often do you get the chance to write that....into this album yet. I was pleasantly surprised by their last one, which is saying something because at the time I was heavily immersed..I loved writing that..in the mighty 'In Rock'. Still one of the greatest albums released.

hpunch said...

I've been hearing good things about it, and now you made me want to hear it. I heard Roger Glover interviewed recently and he said the title references what the past 50 years going by felt like.

FD13NYC said...

Sadly but frankly, I stopped at Come Taste The Band.

Anonymous said...

Whoosh! is more fun and consistent than I expected, but so was InFinite (2017). Steve Morse has serious chops, as anyone who listened to Dixie Dregs knows, and he's not trying to sound like Ritchie Blackmore. It still sounds like Deep Purple and is much better than the David Coverdale era.

And regarding Phil Seymour's debut, it's fabulous power pop, with his 2nd album not quite as good. Saw him tour the debut at the Old Waldorf in San Francisco - great show!

- Paul in DK