Friday, October 23, 2020

"Friday I've Got Covers On My Mind": THE WEEKEND MIX

 



 

Until I get The Jaded Hearts Club record out of my system, and/or write up a post on my favorite covers albums, I thought I'd share some individual favorites. Some of these sound natural, like Allen Toussaint & Leo Nocentelli covering Lowell George or Steve Earle taking on NRBQ. Some are terrific reinventions like the Scissor Sisters covering Pink Floyd or Louisiana's Traveling Wilburys, L'il Band O' Gold taking on Tom Waits. A few I know I've shared before because I just dig them, like Little Junior Parker's brilliant and trippy take on George Harrison's Beatles b-side "The Inner Light" or the gorgeous version of Neil Young's "Harvest" by Rufus Wainwright & Chris Stills.

There are 20 cover versions here and I stand by all of them. I hope you have some fun with the mix.

 

TRACKLIST
Diamonds Are Forever (Shirley Bassey)- Arctic Monkeys
Two Trains (Lowell George) - Allen Toussaint & Leo Nocentelli
Stoned Out Of My Mind (The Chi-Lites)- The Jam
Sleeping On The Sidewalk (Queen)- Los Lobos
The Inner Light (The Beatles)- Little Junior Parker
Saturday Night Special (Lynyrd Skynyrd)- Galactic
It Don't Matter To Me (Bread)- Matthew Sweet
Return To Me (Dean Martin)- Bob Dylan
A Foggy Day (George Gershwin)- Lyn Collins
Outdoor Miner (Wire)- The Grays
Shot In The Dark (Ozzy Osbourne)- Tim Christensen
A Girl Like That (NRBQ)- Steve Earle
Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd)- Scissor Sisters
Clothes Line Saga (Bob Dylan)- The Roches
Beautiful (Christina Aguilera)- Elvis Costello
Woman (Make You Feel Alright) (The Easybeats)- Neil Finn
That Feel (Tom Waits)- L'il Band O' Gold
Harvest (Neil Young)- Rufus Wainwright & Chris Stills
The Last To Die (Bruce Springsteen)- Pet Shop Boys
Won't Get Fooled Again (The Who)- Richie Havens

zip

 

 


 

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some very intriguing choices by these artists. Tim C. doing Ozzy? Richie and WGFA? No way, must be a typo!

Looks great, can't wait to dig in.

Great start to the weekend, thanks!!

Randy

kevin m said...

You neglected to include The Holmes Brothers covering Cheap Trick's I Want You to Want Me. It gives me chills every time I hear it.

Sal Nunziato said...

Kevin,
I neglected many, but yeah, that Holmes Brothers cover is something else.

neal t said...

Louisiana's Traveling Wilburys, L'il Band O' Gold . that's great. C C Adcock should of been huge

JAYESSEMM said...

So. Much. Fun. Thanks Sal.

A Walk In The Woods said...

Bruce done by the Pet Shop Boys?? Gotta hear this!

kodak ghost said...

Nice one.

Brett Alan said...

Elvis Costello covered "Beautiful"? Why wasn't I immediately informed?

My guilty-pleasure love for that song is vindicated!

efredd said...

In lieu of a museum visit not made during these times,

I must say this is a finely curated collection of curios.

Ears everywhere are being treated royally. Thanks.

Jokerman5966 said...

Since childhood when it first came out til today Richie Haven's Here Comes the Sun has been at the top of my list

dogbreath said...

Sounds like you've got it covered (See what I did there? - Yes, move on - Ed). I well remember Richie Havens and The Who being both at Woodstock '69 (in the film, I mean) but RH's cover is a great closer to the mix. Thanks for mixing it all up. Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Thanks! - Stinky

Dr Wu said...

Thank you, Sal. This looks awesome - and with the chill in the air, they’ll be ample opportunity to listen.
Don’t know if you’ve heard the Arctic Monkeys’ cover of Dion’s ‘Only You Know’: https://youtu.be/5WEAdwmqREk

Thanks again for all you do! Wishing everyone the best!

Ccjctwo said...

I saw Richie Havens at a small church venue in New Jersey. Sanctuary Concerts. I heard Won't Get Fooled Again coming (I had not yet heard the album track). I just looked at my wife and smiled. Soon, the whole venue was in on it. What a great night.
I now have the signed copy, the cell phone pic . . .
We hung out a while - talking NYC Board of Ed and comics.
What a night
Music.

Sal Nunziato said...

@Ccjctwo
I remember that whole thing, including the photo.
Great great!