Sunday, April 25, 2021

Songs Of The Week, 2021: 4/17- 4/23

 


World Class Fad- Paul Westerberg
Heaven & Hell- The Easybeats
Dear Heart- Thin Lizzy
May I Baby- Sam & Dave
Get Down- Curtis Mayfield
Wise Up Ghost- Elvis Costello & The Roots
One Of The Boys- Mott The Hoople

zip

(All but one of these songs---the Westerberg--- were inspired by last week's vinyl dig, where I found copies of everything.)

World Class Fad- Paul Westerberg
There is an old Bugs & Daffy cartoon where they try to outdo each other in front of an audience. Daffy's big finale is drinking gasoline and other flammables and blowing himself up. Bugs gives in and congratulates Daffy on the best act he's ever seen. Daffy says, "Only problem is, I can only do it once," as his ghost ascends into the sky. That is how I feel about Paul Westerberg's "14 Songs." He exploded, and that was that. This is one of those amazing "14 Songs."

Heaven & Hell- The Easybeats
My favorite Easybeats song and what I think is one of the greatest records of all time. I can't get enough of it.

Dear Heart- Thin Lizzy
While record shopping with my buddy, we started discussing all things Lizzy. We agreed that "Thunder & Lightning" is a major disappointment. "Who wants to hear Thin Lizzy play heavy metal? They're not a heavy metal band." You're absolutely right, Mike. They aren't. We also agreed that we might be the only two who feel that way. And we agreed, "Night Life" is one of the best, as it perfects what they had started, and isn't quite what they'd become. This album is Irish soul music and this track does Lenny Kravitz almost 20 years before Lenny.

May I Baby- Sam & Dave
Found a mono white label of Sam & Dave's Greatest Hits. What a drum sound! The mono makes Al Jackson Jr. sound like John Bonham...though maybe not so much on this track.

Get Down- Curtis Mayfield
From "Roots." If you don't own this masterpiece, it's time.

Wise Up Ghost- Elvis Costello & The Roots
This 2013 collaboration is already out of print. I loved it then and I hadn't played it in some time. Found a sealed copy just sitting in a bin in a record store in Connecticut and it prompted me to get mine off the shelf. It sounds better than ever. Misunderstood and underappreciated, "Wise Up Ghost" is.

One Of The Boys- Mott The Hoople
My favorite Mott tune. What a raucous, rave up finale. Ian's scream..."AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa---ALL RIGHT!" gets me every time.

6 comments:

A Walk In The Woods said...

May I Baby has always been my favorite Sam & Dave song - perfection.

Elvis and Roots out of print? Who wouldn't get this collab - it's so great.

heartsofstone said...

The OOP dynamic is odd and sometime random. There is a top ten list waiting.

kevin m said...

Sal- you're spot on about Westerberg.

hpunch said...

I've meaning to ask you if you know today's song of the day ( Robert Palmer Remember to Remember).
Only discovered it recently myself. Love it
What a great Beatles-esque melody, The Weaklings should cover it

Anonymous said...

It's funny, I was having similar thoughts about Paul Westerberg last week after listening to some of Dead Man's Pop. All the great songs he wrote in those later Replacements years seemed to be leading to a long, productive solo career. And after 14 Songs? ...

Bill

dogbreath said...

Thanks for zipping it up. The Curtis Mayfield is a fave that I always get, er, down to. Lizzy's "Night Life" album I now enjoy but it took a while (read, a couple of decades) to get,er, down with. Impressing myself with this cool hip talk. Cheers!