Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Jim Bessman, R.I.P.

 


I saw Jim Bessman at every concert I went to for about 30 years straight. And however improbable, I bet every one in NYC could say the same thing. Jim loved music and Jim loved people. He was one of the good guys. He was the president of the club whose members genuinely enjoyed the music and surroundings for all the right reasons.

I won't pretend Jim Bessman and I were the best of friends. But we knew each other. He'd pop into the shop occasionally and we'd have a great chat. We'd see each other at NRBQ shows and have the same conversation. 

"Why aren't these guys huge?!!!"

But then, Jim would be off to his next interview. And no matter how insignificant the "celebrity," he'd treat them with the same respect he'd save for the biggest star. Or a guy who co-owned a record store.

Jim Bessman was a good guy. A young guy. A music fan who always had time for you, no matter who you were.

Rest In Peace, Jim.

5 comments:

Michael Giltz said...

I hope someone will write something as nice as that for me...80 years from now when I die. Those like me who want to read some of his stuff can go to jimbessman.com

cmealha said...

A lovely tribute.

Allan Bilsky said...

I knew Jim through a mutual friend. He was one of the best and the world is a shittier place now that he's gone.

steve simels said...

Well done, Sal.

SteveS said...

It says a lot about a person when everyone--and I do mean everyone--remembers him the same way. This is the third tribute to Bessman I've read and they all said exactly this. I didn't know him, but I feel a loss all the same.