Friday, July 30, 2021

"Deep Fountains": THE WEEKEND MIX

 


I was inspired to put together a Fountains Of Wayne playlist after listening to "The Girl I Can't Forget," one of two new songs that was part of the b-sides and rarities compilation "Out-Of-State Plates." I've loved this band from day one and the majority of Adam Schlesinger's & Chris Collingwood's songs over their all too limited catalogue is nothing short of brilliant. The pop culture references got a bit too cute on their final LP, "Sky Full Of Holes," outweighing, for my tastes, the hooks and melodies. But compared to some other power pop records, what I think is their weakest release might as well have been "Revolver."

But back to "The Girl I Can't Forget," this song flips the switch inside of me that is usually reserved for songs like "Elenore" by The Turtles," or "A Girl Like You" by The Rascals"- pop music standards that are head and shoulders above all else. And it was relegated to a b-sides CD!

So, for the uninitiated who might only be familiar with "Radiation Vibe" and "Stacy's Mom," here are a dozen of my favorite deep cuts. For those who have already gone deep on Fountains Of Wayne, you know what I am talking about.


TRACKLIST
This Better Be Good
The Girl I Can't Forget
A Road Song
Hung Up On You
Leave The Biker
A Fine Day For A Parade
Michael & Heather At the Baggage Claim
No Better Place
Barbara H.
I Know You Well
The Senator's Daughter
Halley's Waitress

zip

10 comments:

George said...

Wonderful band, and wonderful choices, Sal. "Leave the Biker"! "The Senator's Daughter"! Sigh.

Shriner said...

If any new band has a better actual release than FOW's *b-sides* collection -- I'd love to hear it!

JAYESSEMM said...

Well done Sal -- Thanks!

cmealha said...

“This Better Be Good” is my favorite of the bunch and you’ve barely scratched the surface.

M_Sharp said...

Thanks!

Beyes said...

Thank you - wonderful. RIP Adam.

A Walk In The Woods said...

This is one of those bands I *should* have liked long time, but never have made the break on into their sphere. The one song I do love by them, which was on all my mixtapes for a while, is "All Kinds Of Time."

So thanks for this mix, will enjoy.

Michael Giltz said...

And then That Thing You Do and all Adam's stuff on Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. Great band and you get all the credit for turning me on to them.

dogbreath said...

Perfect in excelsis. Cheers!

heartsofstone said...

Thanks so much. You could do many of these.