Sunday, July 25, 2021

Songs Of The Week, 2021: 7/17-7/23

 


About You- Paul McCartney
Rockin' Pneumonia- Professor Longhair
Prodigal Son- Rolling Stones
You Won't See Me- Ernest Ranglin
Mary Of The South Seas- Neil & Tim Finn
Streets Of Bakersfield- Dwight Yoakam & Buck Owens
I Take What I Want- James & Bobby Purify

zip

About You- Paul McCartney
I am now rewatching the fab McCartney/Rick Rubin series and of course, have put many Beatles and solo Macca records in the on deck circle. Spoiler Alert: they do not discuss this track, but I still felt like hearing it. It's a great little rocker with a great vocal, a bit like "Letting Go."

Rockin' Pneumonia- Professor Longhair
This might be my favorite version of the Huey Smith classic.

Prodigal Son- Rolling Stones
Is there no one, either in the Rolling Stones or their camp, who could make this band record one acoustic blues album before it's too late? Anyone?

You Won't See Me- Ernest Ranglin
There is a Trojan Beatles boxed set containing three CDs of reggae, dub and ska versions of Lennon & McCartney tunes. It is very hit or miss, but when it hits, like that King Kouchi track "Show Me Your Motion," a dub track utilizing "A World Without Love" that many of you seemed to really enjoy, and this track from guitar great Ernest Ranglin, it really hits. I can loop this groove for hours. And check out the original album cover of "The Mod Mod Ranglin" from where this was first released. I must track one down.


 

Mary Of The South Seas- Neil & Tim Finn
I've been wanting to share this track for ages, the Finns contribution to "Common Ground: The Voices Of Modern Irish Music." Nothing beats sibling harmonies and they are stunning on this tribute to their mother Mary.

Streets Of Bakersfield- Dwight Yoakam & Buck Owens
I saw Dwight & Buck perform this at the Beacon Theatre sometime in the late 80's and it still crosses my mind occasionally. It was that good.

I Take What I Want- James & Bobby Purify
I picked up a few records at Generation Records last week, including the Best Of The Purifys. Not a bad song to be found, and I think I like this version more than Sam & Dave's version.


5 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

I enjoy so many things of the McCartney doc -- Paul and Rick's genuine enthusiasm and knowledge, inside secrets, anecdotes from the time, special insight into how a sound was made / song created, who did what in the studio, ... AND most of all every so often there is a flash on Paul's face where he has to be thinking to himself: "HOLY SHIT ... I WAS IN THE BEATLES!"

Anonymous said...

Any set with Fess, Ernest Ranglin, and Buck Owens is going to be a favorite with me. All the tracks here are killer. ER is one of my top 10 guitarists; his Below the Bassline album is a great place to start for the uninitiated. And that cover you linked is fantastic.

- Paul in DK

heartsofstone said...

When Neil & Tim Finn are on, they are truly amazing.

Dr Wu said...

That realization - some 50 years later. Worth the price of admission! Lol!

Michael Giltz said...

Dwight Yoakum had the tightest jeans in all of country and rock and roll. Very jealous you got to see him and Buck Owens do that song live!