Sunday, November 28, 2021

Songs Of The Week, 2021: 11/20-11/26

 


There's A Love- Locksley
Darling I Need You- John Cale
Tanqueray- Johnnie Johnson
Momma's Little Jewel- Mott The Hoople
It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)- Bob Dylan
Beating Of Hearts- XTC
Moonlight Motel- Bruce Springsteen

zip

There's A Love- Locksley
Does anyone remember Locksley? For about 17 days in 2006, Locksley was my favorite band.
Does anyone remember The Del-Rios? They were a pioneering doo-wop act who managed to record one single for Stax with William Bell in the group. This is Locksley covering that Del-Rios b-side.

Darling I Need You- John Cale
The more I listen to John Cale's underappreciated solo work, the more I love John Cale. 

Tanqueray- Johnnie Johnson
See last week's Record Store Day post.

Momma's Little Jewel- Mott The Hoople
Every time I mention vinyl, records, analogue tapes or Kevin Gray, I feel thousands of stink eyes hitting me through the computer screen. But if there are at least ten of you out there who care, let me just say, the two Mott reissues on the Drastic Plastic label were both remastered and cut by the genius Kevin Gray and these two LPs never sounded better. That is your vinyl, pro tip for Sunday, 11/28. And now, here is "Momma's Little Jewel" from "All The Young Dudes."

It's Alright Ma, (I'm Only Bleeding)- Bob Dylan
Found a minty stereo "Bringing It All Back Home" at last week's Asbury Park Record Show. I like it better than the mono.

Beating Of Hearts- XTC
From one of the great Side Ones in history, here is the opener from "Mummer."

Moonlight Motel- Bruce Springsteen
I've been wanting to open up the "Bruce's later records are so much better than you think" can of worms for weeks. But for now, we'll close out with this beauty from "Western Stars."


Bonus Track:

The Del-Rios version of "There's A Love."





5 comments:

A Walk In The Woods said...

Supply chain problems? Not on BW! Week in, week out, a fantastic little mix. Thanks for this week's Sal.

JAYESSEMM said...

I love that John Cale!

dogbreath said...

Confess I never click on your daily "now playing" button (cries of shame! all round) but I've been listening to a lot of Mott and XTC this week so it's a bit of a serendipity thing to find them in the mix. And as the mix is referenced #2099, does that mean you've been doing up your zips for 40 years now? Many thanks as always & enjoy (what's left) of the weekend. Cheers!

Marc said...

Locksley used to get played A LOT on Little Steven's Underground Garage, but it's been a few years since I'd heard them. Somehow this version of the song sounds different from the one I used to hear on the radio. Is my memory deceiving me, or is this a different version?

Oh, and thanks for posting the Del-Rios' original - I'd never heard it.

Marc

Sal Nunziato said...

Marc,
That is the only version of the Locksley cover I have.
I actually saw them live at a Little Steven function. He was a fan, for sure.