Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Quickies: December, '21

 

The War On Drugs- I Don't Live Here Anymore
I have not gone gaga the way so many others have gone gaga over this band. As a matter of fact, the first record I received when I joined the "Vinyl Me, Please" record club in 2014 was TWOD's "Lost In A Dream" and I disliked it so much, I cancelled my subscription, assuming each monthly selection would be too cool for my tastes. I've since rejoined and adjusted my membership preferences.

But I digress.


 

I expected to not make it through more than a few songs on "I Don't Live Here Anymore" but instead, listened to it all and liked a lot of it. I don't know how often I will go back, but this record has a fantastic cinematic feel to it, and it feels more melodic than "Lost In A Dream." I am hearing The Waterboys, and occasionally Neil Finn and Tom Petty. There is also an 80's vibe to it as well. That cinematic feel reminded me of the music heard in John Hughes films, and even "Tequila Sunrise" or any of the "Lethal Weapon" films, and I mean that in a good way.


Japanese Breakfast- Jubilee
The blinding hype surrounding Japanese Breakfast was almost enough for me to immediately denounce everything about her and "Jubilee" without hearing a note. But it was recommended by someone I respect, so for that and only that reason, I gave it ride. 


I enjoyed the time spent with "Jubilee." It is musically appealing with enough hooks and melodic phrases to keep me around. It's a bit all over the place musically, sounding at times like St. Vincent, or on a few songs, like a modern version of what Bacharach and David might have written. But Michelle Zauner's voice became irritating after awhile, and because of her squeaky tone and style, I can't help but toss this into the teen/girl/pop/diva pile, even though I recognize she is a hell of a lot more interesting than that. I'm feeling like this one needs a return visit.



BADBADNOTGOOD- Talk Memory
Naming your band BADBADNOTGOOD is asking for trouble, like calling your movie "The Bomb." It's a series of good and bad jokes waiting to happen. But apparently BBNG have risen above it, as their fan base and positive reviews will attest. 

 


 

"Talk Memory," their fourth, is my entry into BBNG. The reviews say it abandons the hip-hop and electronica found on their earlier efforts for a more classic jazz sound. To my ears, this record sounds like what people who don't like jazz think jazz sounds like. There is a lot of fine playing around a lot of nothing melodies that rarely take you anywhere. Stick with Miles' "In A Silent Way."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a similar reaction to the new War on Drugs record. The 80s sound surprised me a little, but I liked it. Not sure how often I'll listen to it, but it was a good diversion on a long drive. Their live album from last year sounded pretty good, too.

Bill

A Walk In The Woods said...

Ha ha yes re: BadBadNotGood.

I recently had a discussion on an Atlanta music FB group about bands I can't support in any way shape or form, just based on their stupid-ass name.

So yes. Bands - if your name is awful, banal, dumb, depressing, or otherwise too moribund to support.

Examples -
Elbow
moe. (the period in particular kills me)
Spoon
BadBadNotGood

And this doesn't include all the bands with horribly offensive names designed to shock, like Disturbed Death or Defiled Apocalypse or Grocery Grenade or whatever.

I'm talking more just bands with names so unimaginative and flat I can't spend money on them. Count me out.

But back to War On Drugs. (A kinda good name, I think. Maybe.) Love that band - they do it all for me - that very rare combo of anthemic and wistful.

And I love the new record - listening over and over lately.