Sunday, December 5, 2021

Songs Of The Week, 2021: 11/27-12/3 (Special Reggae Edition)


 

This all began very innocently. I had been looking for a King Stitt LP that included the opening track. Before too long, I had created a 90 minute playlist for personal use. My original thought was to edit it down to a manageable 60 minutes for last Friday's Weekend Mix. But knowing that reggae music goes over like a bag of wet socks on this blog, I thought it might be best to go at it one day and one song at a time. And that is where we are now.

In brief, I love this music. Whether it's a danceable ska groove or a heavy protest song or some doo-wop/rock steady hybrid, it all makes me very happy. 

Five of the seven songs come from five of my favorite reggae albums of all time. Do they all sound the same? I say, no. Many of you will disagree. But even if that is the case, maybe use it to your advantage. This mix runs a mere 23 minutes. If you have trouble distinguishing one artist from another, listen to the mix as a whole--23 minutes of rhythm, bass, drums, harmony, melody and good vibes. Maybe you'll come away feeling something different than your usual anti-reggae stance.

If you're already a fan, I hope you dig this week's selection.

The Ugly One (Lee Van Cleef)- King Stitt
Sho Be Do Be- The Clarendonians
On The Beach- The Paragons
Stag Lack 17- Tommy McCook & Bobby Ellis
Hail The King- Akae Beka
Your Ace From Space- U-Roy
Burning Drums- Dadawah

zip

For those interested, here is the full 75 minutes.

zip2


 

15 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

Hey Sal ... My socks are wet too!

What a fine collection.

Thanks!

Shriner said...

Since you listened to TS, I promise to give this a solid listen later today -- it's only fair.

A Walk In The Woods said...

Love me some reggae - and soka, ska, lovers rock, dub, the whole buffet line. Thanks for this.

Anonymous said...

I, o'course, don't see your emails, and as well don't see how many visits you get for your individual posts. But I do see you comment, frequently, on the lack of interest your readers have in reggae, metal, and jazz. So, here's a proposal: Just make and offer those mixes, regardless of your readers, who merely need wait another day for your "usual" programming to return.
I love this blog, even tho I often am not interested in the music proffered (not a fan of Todd, XTC, Lemon Twigs, Queen, etc), nor the music discussed (Taylor Swift, f'rinstance). But I still enjoy reading the posts and comments (like you, I'm open to being convinced, and some of the Todd and Queen I have [not being a fan doesn't mean I didn't already have some of them, along with XTC] is due to Burning Wood), and can certainly wait a mere 24 hours (or however long it takes you to muster another nugget for us) for the next post. I have tons of old bluebeat/ska/reggae, so am not one of the complainers when you offer that stuff up. But neither do I complain when you offer metal or jazz posts, and in fact I read and listen to all of those posts, too, out of curiosity (and a sort of faith in the thoughts/belief of a fellow music aficionado).
What I get bummed about is when you offer Spotify (or whatever) playlists that I can't access, since I don't have Spotify (or whatever). But, even then, I don't send a comment asking it to be made into a downloadable ZIP, because I figure you've got enough on your hands and would've ZIPped it if it was convenient.
C in California

Sal Nunziato said...

C In California
First, thanks for the kind words. I do appreciate them.

As for Spotify, I started doing that at the request of a few readers who are unable to DL files on their tablets. I didn't do it often, but the times I did, I tried to include both a ZIP and the embedded Spotify playlist. Sometimes, laziness got in the way and I did what was easiest. But if it happens again where there is ONLY a Spotify playlist, do NOT hesitate to ask for a zip file.


lemonflag said...

Sal
I would love tp hear your 90 min version. After all it's your blog and if a few pass that bye then days later they get something else. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear this, thanks Sal...again!!

Randy

Sal Nunziato said...

Lemonflag,
I have just added a second zip to the post with the full 75 minutes.

Marc said...

I LOVE ska and rocksteady, and have a ton of it in my music library. I'm much less knowledgeable about what came after, but I'm willing to be educated; especially by someone who's knowledgeable and passionate. I didn't grow up listening to jazz, blues or country either, and I love them all now. All of which is to say, post whatever you like - some of us WANT to listen to things we haven't heard a thousand times already. And if I don't like something, I'll still come back for what's next.

Marc

Anonymous said...

Thanks for adding the "FM version" to the "AM version" you already posted (only th'oldtimers'll get that ref).
I will definitely take you up on that offer, when asked, to post a ZIP of the Spotify, in the future. I was really curious about one of the last ones you did, but I don't remember who it was or when it was, so I'll have to kick myself for not asking at the time.
Those mixes you've made of Queen and Lizzy/Lynott music added much to my appreciation of them.
C in California

Shriner said...

OK -- I tried the 23 minute version. If this music was on in the background at an outdoor party, I wouldn't quietly ask them to change it. But I wouldn't ask them to turn it up or tell me who it was either. Two chord vamps have never been my thing regardless of the genre (and, yes, I realize not all of those songs were like that...)

I'm sure this type of music grooves many people but it really didn't do anything for me. I tried, though!

lemonflag said...

Thanks Sal

Stephen said...

More....just gets better.

Stay Safe
Cheers

art58koen said...

Excellent mix, much appreciated!

MarginAlt said...

love it thanks so much for this. also get my reggae fix on Accuradio reggae covers channel and on La Grosse Radio Reggae on various internet radio providers ( i use tunein service) cheers!