Friday, December 17, 2021

The Records I Enjoyed The Most, 2021

 

 

 

 

I doubt if any of my favorite records of 2021 will turn up on any of the usual lists. They never do. 

Is it me or them?

If that isn't bad enough, I have never even heard of 40 of the artists on NPR's Top 50! 

Four of my favorites appeared on Mojo's Top 75, so at least there's that.

What is that all about?

I have a theory.

While scrolling through Instagram, you occasionally see things you do not expect or actually want to see, like a brief clip of a somewhat bitter Adam Duritz from Counting Crows talking about his career. He basically said that he was disappointed that so many records after the smash debut went unnoticed, but he accepts it. He understood. People have more fun finding something new than going back to something they have heard before.

I am the opposite. I have more fun listening to music that is almost always a guarantee than I do experimenting with the current cool list or trending artists, because searching for the best new thing is a damn chore, and it is almost always a disappointment.

Sorry. Can't help it.

That said, I am not calling this list "The Best Of 2021." These records are the ones I played the most because I enjoyed them the most. 

To hell with Yebba!

 

 

BURNING WOOD'S "RECORDS I ENJOYED THE MOST IN 2021"

 

Field Music-Flat White Moon

 

 


The problem with Field Music is that they try too hard. They are too clever at times, and that only makes things more difficult for the listener. But "Flat White Moon" is different. The songs are more accessible and you don't have to fish for the hooks. Plus, it is a very manageable 39 minutes long. This one got better with each spin.

 

 

 

 

NRBQ- Dragnet

 

 

 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Thankfully NRBQ has been adhering to that practice for over 50 years, and we are all the better for it. "Dragnet" is another gem, sweet and swingin', strange and beautiful. God bless NRBQ.





Billy F. Gibbons- Hardware



Billy Gibbons covers it all on "Hardware," from the Texas blues that put him on the map, to surf music, salsa, funk and good old rock and roll. I love the way this record was recorded. It's got a nasty feel to it and a terrific drum sound, to boot. Billy can still play the guitar and he has not lost the ability to create some heavy duty riffage. This one surprised me. I did not expect to enjoy this as much as I did.

 

 

 



Olivier Rocabois- Goes Too Far



I need to thank my pal Don over at IDHAS for this very original and very beautiful record. At times I was reminded of a "Hunky Dory"-era Bowie fronting my beloved Left Banke. But then there are so many ideas and sounds throughout, I gave up trying to figure out the influences. Early Elton? Check. Classic Beach Boys? Check. I just know, "Goes Too Far" hits on everything I've loved and listened to my whole life, without ever sounding like a pastiche. Do yourself a favor and listen to "Olivier Rocabois Goes Too Far."

 

 



Silk Sonic- An Evening With Silk Sonic


I can't remember the last time I complained about a record being too short, but that is how I feel about "An Evening With Silk Sonic." This one lived up to the hype. It's pure joy from start to finish, never taking itself too seriously and always delivering a hook. Yes, it even got these creaking bones to dance around while no one was looking. 

 

 



Earl Slick- Fist Full Of Devils


I was hoping this wasn't going to be a self-indulgent shred-fest, or some amelodic noodling. I wanted to like this record. And I do. Very much. I should have known better. Earl Slick has never been about playing fast, or overplaying. He's always been right where he needed to be, saying just what he needed to say in as few words as possible. If you had played half of this record for me and told me they were finished backing tracks to a lost Bowie record, I would have believed you. A personal favorite on the record is "The Lantern," which reminds me in both style and attack of the great Mick Ronson and his take on "Slaughter On Tenth Avenue." If you're a fan of Earl Slick's playing, "Fist Full Of Devils" is worth your time. It is arguably the strongest and most realized set of music of this guitar legend's career. 

 

 


 

Tuns- Duly Noted

 


 

Having never boarded the Sloan train, a Sloan side project wasn't exactly calling out my name. But a few people had suggested "Duly Noted" and I am happy to say, they were right. If Sloan was ever this melodic, with harmonies this good, please point me in the right direction. I'm ready. This record is full of smart songs, mellifluous harmonies and melodies that stick. 





Cha Wa- My People


 


 

Cha Wa is a Mardi Gras Indian funk band that takes the music of the streets into the 21st century. On “My People," the band tries to “take the influence of Monk Boudreaux and Bo Dollis and Willie Tee [from the original Wild Magnolias] back in the day, when they were interpreting the music of their time – the deep funk, disco, Afrobeat and tinges of reggae,” says drummer & bandleader Joe Gelini. This record is about as New Orleans as it gets!

 

 



Lindsey Buckingham- S/T



Since Lindsey Buckingham's 1992 release "Out Of The Cradle," a record I think is his masterpiece, his solo output has been hard to distinguish from each other. I guess I wouldn't want Lindsey to stray too far from his winning formula. I think I just wanted the formula to be as strong as "Out of The Cradle." He's finally done it with this new self-titled release. It's all Lindsey, just like previous Lindsey. But it's some of the best Lindsey you'll ever hear.

 

 

 


Crowded House- Dreamers Are Waiting


 


This was the closest thing to Neil Finn's pop heyday in ages. Not quite "Woodface" or "Together Alone," but "Dreamers Are Waiting" was less experimental and more accessible than both "Intriguer" and "Time On Earth" and it was refreshing to hear some pop melodies once again, even if the mood was not quite as playful as those classic Crowded House records. This was a solid return to form.

 

 

 

 


Robert Plant/Alison Krauss- Raise The Roof 



The sequel is rarely better than the original, but occasionally you get a winner. Bob and Ali are back with "Raise The Roof" and it's fab. I was a bit put off by the first single, a cover of Randy Weeks' "Can't Let Go." It wasn't bad, it just wasn't Lucinda Williams, who I think owns that track. But Plant and Krauss are terrific once again. Especially Plant! I know all the diehard Zep fans still can't get beyond not seeing a reunion, but props to Robert for moving on. He and Krauss are made for each other and they sound wonderful on just about every track. The Anne Briggs cover above is a personal favorite, as is their cover of Bert Jansch's "It Don't Bother Me." The only misstep is the album closer, "Somebody Was Watching Over Me" which went on about two minutes too long and gave me the twitch.

 

 

 



Andy Partridge- My Failed Songwriting Career Part One



This was only an E.P., and all four songs are old. But damn, this is as good as it gets. The bad news? The XTC hunger pangs will come on fierce with repeated playing.



 

 

Kasim Sulton- Kasim 2021


Kasim Sulton has been Todd Rundgren's right hand man since his debut on a Utopia record in 1977. I've been a fan of Kas for just as long. His voice is a perfect harmonious companion to Todd's and his bass playing is as important to the sound of Todd and Utopia's records as Bruce Thomas or even Paul McCartney was to their respective bands. 

Sulton's last solo album "Three," was a favorite of 2014. In many ways, Sulton does a better job at keeping the music of classic Todd Rundgren alive than Todd himself. "Kasim 2021" is full of great melodies, great playing and some fine songwriting. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Brian Wilson- At My Piano

 

Brian Wilson's "At My Piano" is self-explanatory. What I can't explain is why I love this record so much. It isn't a particularly good recording. There is a demo quality to it all. But that must be some of the appeal. Wilson doesn't try to reinvent anything here. There are no bossa nova versions of favorite "Pet Sounds" tracks. It's Brian Wilson playing piano. He relies on the beauty of his melodies to carry the record and it is, in a word, stunning.

 

 

 

 

 

The John Sally Ride- Now Is Not A Great Time

 

How can I put my own record on my list? Because if you know me and this blog, you'd know I wouldn't if I didn't like it. And the truth is, it isn't an automatic that I love any music I make.  I do think The John Sally Ride is a special band with special songwriting, and arrangements that take chances many bands simply don't take. I believe "Now Is Not A Great Time" is worth hearing, if not for my contributions then for everyone else involved. These guys, John Dunbar, Sal Maida and Joe Pampel are talented musicians making some great music that needs to be heard.

 

 

 


 

Los Lobos- Native Sons

 


A few weeks before Los Lobos' recent covers album "Native Sons" was released, some PR clips were floating about the web with Louie Perez talking about the record and how the band's approach was to create note for note copies of the songs they used to play when they were an up and coming bar band in East L.A.. I thought, meh, another COVID lockdown covers album.  

WRONG!

"Native Sons" is a blissful, soulful, ass-kicking collection of songs with nary a clam in the bunch. I should have known better than to doubt one of the greatest bands in the history of music. 




 


Cheap Trick- In Another World



I think Cheap Trick is a perfect example of a band who is damned if they do and damned if they don't. I know fans who were once diehard, but for some silly reason stopped listening after "Dream Police." With the exception of "The Doctor," which is as bad as everyone remembers it being, even the weakest CT records of their catalogue sound like Cheap Trick, and those few records still have gems if you just play the damn albums!

That said, I think "In Another World" is the best of the recent trilogy. What the hell more could you want from a tried and true band in their 6th decade?

 

 

 

THE TOP THREE:

 


Mickey Dolenz- Dolenz Sings Nesmith

I guess I'd be lying if I said, I loved "Dolenz Sings Nesmith" before the death of Mike Nesmith as much as I do now. I know it would have still made my year-end list. But this record, those songs, these arrangements and Micky's voice all sound so much more important now. 

This isn't a karaoke record. And it isn't cashing in either. This is a collection of mostly deeper Nesmith cuts, reinvented to near-perfection. If the debate continues over whether Dylan has a good voice versus whether he is a good singer---I believe the latter---then I think Micky Dolenz needs to be considered as one of the best "singers" in rock and roll. If you don't believe me, listen to this album. There is joy and heartbreak is in every note.

 

 

 



 

Aimee Mann- Queens Of The Summer Hotel

Talk about arriving in the nick of time! I had no plans of even listening to this record, let alone putting it on repeat and rating it as high. I have wanted this from Aimee Mann for years. By the way, it took a few spins, but I just figured out where the melody of "Home By Now" comes from. "Earn Enough For Us" from XTC's "Skylarking." No wonder I love it so much.

 

 



 

 

 

Southern Culture On The Skids- At Home With...

Yes, this is my favorite record of the year, partly because I needed it, but mostly because SCOTS knows how to have a good time.

It is their best since "Liquored Up & Lacquered Down."

The opener "Call Me" finds Rick Miller wasting away, filling out forms while the sun shines and he runs out of beer. Nothing but bad news, so just call him! He's around, just hunkerin' down. It's 12 months along since he played some songs, so call him! I cannot get this one out of my head.

And then comes the one and only Mary Huff with the first cover of the day, a perfect SCOTS take on Nancy Sinatra's "Sugar Town."

"Polka Dot Dress" is so damn funky, Ike Turner woke up just to say, "Shit, that's funky." Thankfully, that's all he did. Listen to that one up at the top.

Look, you need this record. Yeah, I'm gushing. But isn't that what music is supposed to do? Thank heavens for Southern Culture On The Skids. I played this record more than any other release of 2021 and I am going to play it again, right now!

Oh, they cover "Dear Mr. Fantasy." And a banjo is involved. And it's genius.

 

THE FULL LIST OF RECORDS I ENJOYED THE MOST IN 2021:

Field Music- Flat White Moon
NRBQ- Dragnet
Billy F. Gibbons- Hardware
Olivier Rocabois- Goes Too Far
Silk Sonic- An Evening With...
Earl Slick- Fist Full Of Devils
Tuns- Duly Noted
Cha Wa- My People
Lindsey Buckingham- S/T
Crowded House- Dreamers Are Waiting
Robert Plant/Alison Krauss- Raise The Roof
Andy Partridge- My Failed Songwriting Career, Part One
Kasim Sulton- Kasim 2021
Brian Wilson- At My Piano
The John Sally Ride- Now Is Not A Great Time
Los Lobos- Native Sons
Cheap Trick- In Another World
Micky Dolenz- Dolenz Sings Nesmith
Aimee Mann- Queens Of the Summer Hotel
Southern Culture On The Skids- At Home With...

 

 

 


19 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

Great list -- Thanks Sal.

Since Burning Wood is a key source for my music I can't believe there are a few holes in this doughnut. I have listening to do!

Anonymous said...

I like reading the year end lists to see if I missed a release by an old fave. Since Kasim and Cheap Trick made your list, I'll pass it on to my sisters for the same reason (big fans!).

I seem to have fewer multiple players each year. What I liked this year:

Bobby Gillespie/Jehnny Beth - Utopian Ashes (a breakup album by the Primal Scream and Savages singers)
11th Dream Day - Since Grazed (a getting older album)
Music, Message and the Moment (a spiritual jazz comp from ABC/Impulse)
Jon Batiste - We Are (a good time on a lot of levels)
The Fleshtones - Face of the Screaming Werewolf (they've been on a streak)
Prince - Welcome 2 America (a step up from a lot of the post-Emancipation albums)
Peter Banks - Best of Harmony in Diversity (distills the best of the post-Flash years)
McCoy Tyner - Trio Live in Gdynia (strong reminder of one of my first jazz loves)
Hedvig Mollestad - Ding Dong You're Dead (solid power trio metal)

Shriner said...

Favorites of 2021: I listened to a lot of stuff I liked. And way too many reissues and “Anniversary Editions” (it was a bigger year for them than usual for me…) A number of bands/artists I like released albums this year, but most of them were just good-to-OK to me, so I’m not calling them out but I enjoyed them (Juliana Hatfield, Adele, etc...)

But here’s what I *really* liked in no particular order:

Bruno Mars/Anderson.Paak — An Evening With Silk Sonic Yes, it’s a throwback, but it’s a great return to when soul music was memorable and had hooks. This is very short, but left me wanting more.

Airport 77s — Rotation. It’s an EP, but this and the single they released a month or so ago were some of my favorite things this year. I can’t wait for a full album from this band that fully embraces everything I love about Power Pop -- hooks, melodies, smart/clever lyrics. A band that would be huge in an alternative universe that appreciated Power Pop.

Blue — Six Tape — but get the bandcamp version with 5 extra songs — which are better than the regular album tracks!

Liz Phair — Soberish. Please don’t wait a decade for another album, Liz!

Olivia Rodrigo — SOUR. Yes. For real. It depressed me lyrically the first time I spun it (So did “Star-Crossed” by Kacey Musgraves which almost made my list), but then I really got it the second (and more) spins after that. She might be a one-and-done, but there’s something there.

Glen Campbell — Live From The Troubadour. A new release of an old concert near the end of his career touring the “covers” album. The entire thing is a fantastic live set — joyous and bittersweet at the same time.

Taylor Swift — “evermore” — the companion piece to “folklore”. TS is maturing as a songwriter and it shows here in spades.

Southern Culture On The Skids — At Home With — more excellence from this incredibly fun band.


Reissues of the Year: Out of *sooo* many (I’m getting old apparently), I loved these: The Replacements: “Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash”. And the new Deluxe Editions of Pretenders and Pretenders II — have never sounded better and continually remind me how much James Honeyman-Scott is missed.

Something better than it had any right to be: Abba’s “Voyage”

A band I never gave much thought to and could never get into them, but ended up being something I really liked after watching a documentary: Sparks’ “Past Tense: The Best of Sparks” (which is from 2019, but I only picked up in 2021). It’s probably more Sparks than I need, but maybe I needed some visuals to really get what they were doing after all these decades.

Song of the year for me? A sentimental pick: “Guitar Center” by Butch Walker from that Tribute to Adam Schlesigner earlier this year.

cmealha said...

I'm surprised how much we overlap this year - Silk Sonic, Lindsay Buckingham, Robert Plant/Alison Krauss, Andy Partridge, Kasim Sulton (thanks), Cheap Trick, and especially Aimee Man who I had written off earlier this year after a particularly bad concert outing.
Although I did get the Field Music, I wasn't as enamored as you were although "No Pressure" is a killer. I know you're a big NRBQ fan but I've never connected. However, the track you posted has made me add it to my playlist for further sampling. That as well as so many of the other cuts you add are going to provide for a busy pre-Christmas week of music listening. So many awesome cuts - Southern Culture, Olivier Rocabois, Tuns, Cha Wa and all the rest.
I didn't have a top 10 this year. Only made it to 8 and it included a cheat by the inclusion of Bob Dylan's Shadow Kingdom and A Bowie Celebration, both of which I added to my audio library and enjoyed thoroughly as new music. At the risk of ending our friendship for good I also have Weezer's OK Human (sorry I made you buy it) and Olivia Rodrigo's Sour, which is the only "new" artist I included. I did toy with adding Billie Eilish but in truth, I didn't like her new album as much as their previous effort, although I think "my future" is the best song she's ever done.
Only two "singles" of note on my list. Jack Antanoff's "Stop Breaking My Heart" and U2's Your Song Saved My LIfe. Hard to tell what's a single anymore.

Troy said...

That's a nice list. I totally agree with you on Lindsey Buckingham, Plant/Krauss, Los Lobos, and Cheap Trick. In addition, I really enjoyed Brandi Carlisle, Jason Isbell, Jackson Browne, and Prince. Oh, and the song that raised my spirits the most times this year was "I Need Some of That" by Weezer. Best hooks, handclaps, crunchy guitars, and lyrics that take me back to 6th, 7th, and 8th grade in the late 70s, riding around town on my bike with my best friends and just being a kid.

Happy New Year, and looking forward to another year of good music conversation on BW.

elroy said...

Thanks for this - still time for some stocking stuffers! And you are correct, Now Is Not A Great Time easily stands with the others. Nice job on that!

Steven said...

I'm to the point now where I mostly listen to single songs vs. full records. For me, it's a chore these days to get through an entire long-player, even if it's a favorite artist of mine.
I'm with you on the Bruno Mars-Anderson .Paak-Silk Sonic record. When it finally came out, I was disappointed by it's length. They're busy guys, so maybe that's to be expected. I would have liked to see them throw in a couple of 70's covers to flesh it out a bit.
There was some on your list I haven't gotten into. I plan to do that when time allows.

Troy said...

I was remiss to not list the entire Tip's Record Club collection. Listening to the latest, Dirty Dozen Brass Band with Dizzy Gillespie, and I'm floored, absolutely blown away.

hpunch said...

Great list. Nice to see some of my favorites here as well. Tuns, Crowded House, Cheap Trick, John Sally Ride.
I wish the Andy Partridge was a full album ( a second EP was supposed to be out in November)
How about a little love for Phil Thornalley for producing, co-writing 10 of the songs and playing most of the instruments on the Kasim 2021 record?
MIke's son Christian Nesmith, was the mastermind behind the Dolenz Sings Nesmith album. I recommend the music he makes with his wife under the name Circe Link.
I agree with the major comeback of Aimee Mann. Interesting that those songs were intended for a musical adaptation of Girl, Interrupted.


Mr. Baez said...

Thanks for the great list, Sal. A few here that slipped by me that I'll need to check out. The Cheap Trick lp was my favorite of the year. Probably played it more than anything else in 2021. Here's to more happy listening in 2022.

ken49 said...

I'm going to enjoy exploring this list during the next weeks. We are getting rain in Calif. (finally!) so it will be a good time to stay indoors and explore. Looking back on 21 I seem to have spent a lot of time on British Comps of early 1970's where prog and pop intersected. Also am really enjoying Sam Fender's Seventeen Going Under and Tim Christensen's many releases.

wool said...

I always respect your takes and there is always a nugget of gold in your lists but I wanted to say Happy Holidays and thank you for the blog and thank you for the music.

Merry Christmas

Anonymous said...

Here are my favorites for 2021, ignoring the many great compilations and deluxe editions (Ray Charles, The Waterboys, True West, etc.)

The Connells - Steadman's Wake
an unexpected return with no drop in quality
Charley Crockett - Music City USA
one of two excellent releases this year from the prolific Charley
Dori Freeman - Ten Thousand Roses
great songs and a fabulous voice
Robin Guthrie - Pearldiving
dreamy ambience from the former Cocteau Twin
Wee Willie Walker and The Anthony Paule Soul Orchestra - Not In My Lifetime
why this guy wasn't huge is yet another sad tale
Los Lobos - Native Sons
still one of the best American bands even when just doing covers
Stephan Thelen - Fractal Guitar II
a sequel living up to the high standard of the original
The Wallflowers - Exit Wounds
surprisingly strong. Never rated them much prior to this album
Hiss Golden Messenger - Quietly Blowing It
this one gets into a groove I like and doesn't let up
Trøen-Arnesen Quartet - Tread Lightly
Norwegian quartet playing beautifully
Quivers - Golden Doubt
while not a tribute band, they have that feel of the Go-Betweens. Must be something in the water in Queensland...
Crowded House - Dreamers Are Waiting
Since Paul Hester's death, most of the humor has gone, but this is closer to the glory days
John Hiatt and the Jerry Douglas Band - Leftover Feelings
another fine album from Mr Hiatt
Richard Thompson - Serpent's Tears
a clutch of good songs from the master
Melody Gardot - Sunset In The Blue
elegant jazz and pop from a fantastic singer. See her in concert if you can.
Dr Lonnie Smith - Breathe
the funk master with Iggy Pop
Cha Wa - My People
makes me want to go to New Orleans every time I play it. I end up making jambalaya.
Diego Riveira - Indigenous
superb saxophone and memorable tunes
Steve Hackett - Under A Mediterranean Sky
The only concert I saw this year was Steve. Stunning, as is this instrumental album. I like this one more than the more recent Surrender Of Silence, but two albums in one year is a treat.
Daniel Herskedal - Harbour
Never knew that a jazz trio lead by tuba would be one of my favorites, but this blew away my expectations. DH has become my new favorite in contemporary jazz

First Aid Kit - Who by Fire (Live Tribute to Leonard Cohen)
This is a spectacular tribute to one of the great singer-songwriters, with some unusual arrangements that work well

- Paul in DK

cmealha said...

Just finished listening to Brian Wilson's "At My Piano". It's amazing how well it works. These songs, even stripped down to their barest essentials, still amaze with their unparalleled beauty. A real find. I loved it and it goes right on to the "Best of 2021' list.

kevin m said...

I'm cheating a bit. After listening to so much music Jan-Oct, I decided that anything that was released in Nov and Dec would have to be included on my 2022 list (that means you JSR). So here is the list of my favorite artists/albums from the past year

Jason Isbell - Georgia Blue
Howlin Rain -Dharma Wheel
Bobbie Gillespie/Jehnnie Beth -Utopian Ashes
Yola- Stand for Myself
Aaron Lee Tasjan - Tasjan! Tasjan! Tasjan!
Isreal Nash- Topaz
John Paul Keith- The Rhythm of the City
Quivers - Golden Doubt
Valerie June- The Moon and Stars
Hold Steady- Open Door Policy

And I'm going to cheat a little more as these final 2 were released at the end of 2020 but didn't hit my radar until Jan of this year. Lucinda Williams - Running Down a Dream and Errol Linton - No Entry


sloan wolf said...

New to this blog, so good to be a part of such a great crowd.

First off, great list Sal. I'm intrigued by the choices that I haven't heard, and appreciate the integrity of this list for including artists that aren't in the vogue. SCOTS is a band that keeps on keepin' on with great songwriting and music. We only get one list-topper each year, and to offer it up to these veterans shows appreciation for craft. I'm stoked to listen to this record now.

It's also nice to see Tuns get some love! This record has several great songs - "My Memories" that's featured here is probably my number one listened-to song of 2021. They fit the bill as a supergroup with no weak-links.

As a Sloan fan, I will gladly take the challenge of pointing in the direction of some similar-quality Sloan songs. Here's a playlist! Sloan is similar to the Beatles or Monkees in that they have four singers with different character and trade off duties. This list is tailored around the pop sensibilities so doesn't fully represent the band.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdoRyPSWcRDdrqQ-HUVQtRUgtufkBw0We

Even better, pick up their latest album "12" from 2018 which is one of their most consistent and best represents the four-headed monster.


But yeah, what a great list, and some great additions in the comments here! The Connells were the local band of my teenage years in Raleigh, so nice to see their latest work get some love.

Lots of other great suggestions I hope to check out.

Thanks everybody and cheers!

Unknown said...

A bit late to the party here. Great list! So much to discover that I missed. SCOTS is my fave too this year I think.

Cheers and Happy Holidays.

Robin

Michael Giltz said...

This is what I get for wasting all my time on Christmas music and gift shopping! I'm late to the game of excitedly seeing what made Sal's "the music I listened to most this year" list and discovering what acts I missed and can check out and then add to my list so I look just as cool. Oh and we have at least one album in common: The John Sally Ride's latest! Happy New Year!

Squints said...

My official position is that are no guilty pleasures. Own your likes.

But I will admit to raising my hand a little sheepishly as regards Cheap Trick's "The Flame." Obvious radio bait. But dang, I like it.