Sunday, January 30, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 1/22-1/28


 

Shake My Tree- Coverdale/Page
Silvio- Bob Dylan
2000 Light Years From Home- The Rolling Stones
The Plum Blossom- Yusef Lateef
Live Till You Die- Emitt Rhodes
Serenade- Roxy Music
Groove Holmes- The Beastie Boys

zip

Shake My Tree- Coverdale/Page
The record was mocked before, during and after its release. I am pretty sure the two artists themselves only recorded it to piss off Robert Plant. But none of this changes the fact that there are some riffs to die for on "Coverdale/Page," especially this opener.

Silvio- Bob Dylan
The only reason to own "Down In The Groove."

2000 Light Years From Home- The Rolling Stones
When the Songs Of The Week first started, there wasn't any commentary. It was just the songs and a zip file. Then, a few readers suggested I write a bit about each song, explaining how each track got to be the Song Of The Day. Sometimes, there's interesting commentary, like a strange coincidence or a random event that got the song to me. Other times, it's simply because I felt like hearing the song. That is all.

The Plum Blossom- Yusef Lateef
I purchased a collection of approximately 1000 records earlier this month, mostly jazz and soul. Occasionally, something catches my eye and I give it a spin before selling it. That is what happened with Yusef Lateef's "Eastern Sounds." I've listened to Lateef before and I really dig both the "Live At Pep's" and "Complete" albums. But I had never heard "Eastern Sounds" and I saw that it goes for really good money, so I was curious. The record is a beauty. It really did a number on me. I was tempted to keep the original copy, but that would make me a really awful record dealer. This track alone was enough to not let it go. But I let it go. Sold the original and used a bit of that for a reissue instead. It'll do. Check out "The Plum Blossom."

Live Till You Die- Emitt Rhodes
Speaking of record dealers, a dealer friend of mine posted about Emitt Rhodes and mentioned this track as her favorite. 

Serenade- Roxy Music
See "One Sentence Review" on the left.

Groove Holmes- The Beastie Boys
Speaking of that record collection, there were a couple of Richard "Groove" Holmes LPs in those boxes, and that made me think of this tribute from the Beasties.

2 comments:

A Walk In The Woods said...

Whilst I certainly won't be the guy defending "Down In The Groove" - life's too short, and the rewards for that endeavor too few - I think the two covers (Rank Strangers To Me and especially Shenandoah) on that LP are really good too.

And I am OK with being maybe the planet's only resident who likes "Had A Dream About You, Baby" and "Death Is Not The End."

dogbreath said...

That Roxy Music review is far better (and more concise) than my recent conversation with a mate about the early with-Eno albums and the later output - mind you we also argued the relative merits of scrambled eggs against poached so it was hardly a highbrow discussion. Thanks for zipping the SOTW, especially the chance to sample the Yusef Lateef track. Cheers!