Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Fire Music


The 2018 documentary "Fire Music: The Story Of Free Jazz" is now airing on The Criterion Channel, and possibly streaming elsewhere, I just haven't checked. I watched it and I loved it.

I know that even accessible jazz isn't the easiest sell on these pages, so why would I recommend almost 90 minutes of free jazz, a format that even the most ardent supporters of the genre would admit to being difficult music? Because it's not only one of the most fascinating assemblies of talking heads I have ever seen on film, it is also one of the best arguments for the music itself.

The archival footage is mind-blowing. Even if you sit twitching, desperately trying to find a melody or simply understand what the hell is going on on stage, to see greats like Coltrane, Ornette, Cecil Taylor, Archie Shepp and Eric Dolphy in action, is nothing short of miraculous. Or how about Prince Lasha? Before this film, I had never heard of the guy. But yesterday, I listened to his record with Sonny Simmons, "The Cry!" and it was one of the best discoveries of the year.

The best explanation of what free jazz is comes early in the film. I'll explain it in my own words.

If you are tinkling around on the piano or noodling on the guitar, the music you are making needs no cooperation. But add a bass player, and now suddenly, the two of you need a plan. Or do you? Free jazz has no plan. It is the always liberating feeling of expressing yourself through your instrument, free of worry that you might get in the way of anyone else. Sometimes the results are sheer chaos. But when you just happen to find each other, it's art at its most beautiful.

I don't expect "Fire Music" will convert very many. But if you love jazz, and occasionally dip your toes in the dangerous waters of the avant-garde, this film is a must. If you have no love for jazz and get easily frightened by a skronking sax, I still highly recommend this film. You'll never have to listen Albert Ayler again if you don't want to, but the possibility exists that you will want to.

 


10 comments:

A Walk In The Woods said...

Nice explanation of what Free Jazz is.

Anonymous said...

As a jazz-friendly BW reader, thanks for the recommendation. I will look for it.
Speaking of documentaries, have you seen the Brian Wilson American Masters that came out recently on PBS? I found it affecting.
Also, I think you recently recommended Rickie Lee Jones’ autobiography? Thanks for that recommendation too - a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Sal Nunziato said...

Anon,
I watched the Brian Wilson last night and was hoping to write about it this week. I was moved to tears a number of times. Affecting, indeed.

heartsofstone said...

Thanks. Now I know what I am doing this afternoon.

Anonymous said...

Looks like worthwhile viewing. Thanks for the tip. The trailer does a great job, along with your review, Sal.

I'm very much a fan of jazz and saw a number of free jazz bands in my younger days (e.g., Sun Ra, Henry Threadgill, John Zorn and Elliot Sharp, Nels Cline's trio), but I don't listen to much of that ilk now; it requires too much attention to find the joy in it. I bet it's a blast for the performers, though.

Slightly related funny aside: Elvis Costello and the Imposters are playing here Thursday as part of the Copenhagen Jazz Festival. They're doing their Boy Named If Tour which is definitely not jazz. Odd how festival programmers think. Yes, I'm going to the gig.

- Paul in DK

cmealha said...

Not a jazz fan and certainly cannot get into free jazz but I love documentaries about the creative process, no matter what genre. I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for the heads up.

And thank to anonymous for the heads up on Brian Wilson. Wasn't aware of it.

Anonymous said...

Doubling down on Sal's praise for this fantastic doc, and also for Prince Lasha. I hadn't heard of him either, but great stuff and on the more accessible end of the free jazz continuum, if anyone's curious.

Bruce H.

cmealha said...

Watched it. Loved it. But still can't get into the music. It's like a Pollock painting. People like it, it's important but it's outside my wheelhouse. I can appreciate the artistry, watching someone like Cecil Taylor at the piano but I would never just listen to it. IN any case, ut was a really good doc. I enjoyed learning about the development and listening to the various players explain what it was all about.

sloan wolf said...

Beautiful explanation of Free Jazz.

Someone introduced me to the Frank Wright Quartet - Church Number Nine and it blew my mind.

Michael Giltz said...

Hey is this a music blog or a movie blog??!! :) Great to know we have TWO great music docs to check out. Thanks Sal!