Sunday, August 7, 2022

Songs Of The Week, 2022: 7/30-8/5

 


 

Stars On The Water- Rodney Crowell
Think About Me- The Toms
I Drew A Lemon- Terry Hall
Leaving New York- R.E.M.
The Moonbeam Song- Nilsson
Police Dog Blues- Blind Blake
Yard Broom- The Skatalites

zip

Stars On The Water- Rodney Crowell
My old band The Hard Copies covered Crowell's "I Couldn't Leave You If I Tried" and we loved playing it so much, we'd often toss around other Rodney songs to try. But we just never got around to any of them. This was the leading contender.

Think About Me- The Toms
The first time I heard The Toms, aka Tom Marolda, I went bananas. We all did in 1979. This is lo-fi, power pop perfection that still sounds great over 40 years later.

I Drew A Lemon- Terry Hall
See Friday's post.

Leaving New York- R.E.M.
Even though "Around The Sun" came out in 2004, it was still soon enough for this track to remind me of 9/11. I still dig this one, but for different reasons now.

The Moonbeam Song-Nilsson
"Have you ever watched a moonbeam

As it slid across your windowpane

Or struggled with a bit of rain

Or danced about the weather vane

Or sat along a moving train

And wondered where the train has been

Or on a fence with bits of crap

Around its bottom

Blown there by a wind beam

Who searches for the moonbeam

Who was last seen

Looking at the tracks

Of the careless wind beam

Or moving to the clacks

Of the tireless freight train

And lighting up the sides"---NILSSON!!!

Police Dog Blues- Blind Blake
My old pal, the amazing guitarist Charlie Hunter, has been studying Blind Blake as of late, and posting videos to Instagram. He recently posted two performances of this track. The first was at half speed, so you can see more clearly, the chord changes and picking. The second was at tempo. Both blew my mind, as did the original.

Yard Broom- The Skatalites
Going out on a happy note. If this doesn't make you smile, well then I can't help ya!

6 comments:

kevin m said...

I remember listening to "Leaving New York" during the early days of the pandemic and it hit me the same way as it did when the song was released.

wool said...

just in general....wahooo

A Walk In The Woods said...

Nice!!

Michael Giltz said...

Oh gosh how I love "The Moonbeam Song." Just quoting the lyrics was a wonderful tribute to it. It's an art song -- tricky to sing but seems effortless when Nilsson does it.

drstu said...

Love this mix tonight Sal, Rodney,Blind Blake,Nillson The Skatalites, smile on my face even before your closer and btw Amen to that last comment!

dogbreath said...

Love that Nilsson & good to hear Terry Hall's track. No sign of a smile though so must be beyond help. Oh well. Cheers!