Thursday, March 30, 2023

George Clanton, not Clinton

He's been called "The David Bowie of Vaporwave". I'm not going to argue the point either way, but of all the artists in that genre I've encountered, George Clanton seems to be the most serious and charismatic to emerge. Although frequently associated with vaporwave, Clanton says he embraces the tag largely for marketing purposes. He's ambitious, starting his 100% Electronica label in 2015, and launching the first vaporwave music festival ElectroniCON in 2019, which he headlines.

I've been playing two of his albums for awhile now, and they are a lot of fun, especially in the car.








Is it '80's style electro pop? I don't know, whatever it is, he's got a good ear, and can write a song.




He also records as ESPRIT, and has collaborated on an album with Nick Hexum of 311.
 
-BBJ

1 comment:

Michael Giltz said...

is vaporware the new reggae? No comments yet, so here I am!