Monday, May 29, 2023

"Temper Of The Times": Another Round Of Pop Gems From Jeff Matthews

 

 

I've loved every one of Jeff Matthews previous EPs. With a crack band that includes the one and only Earl Slick on guitar and Wings and Rant Band veteran Steve Holley on drums, Matthews returns with four more hook-filled, rock and roll gems. 2021's "Shut Up & Listen" was one of my favorite tracks of the year, and "I Got Lost," the lead track off of "Temper Of The Times" is shaping up to be one of my faves of 2023. Mr. Slick shines with a sweet and blistering solo. (Can something be sweet and blistering?)

Once again, madman pop genius Mark Hudson is behind the boards, adding ballast and Beatles subtleties to four perfectly crafted originals from the pen and strings of Matthews. "Temper Of The Times" is classic record making, and I only hope all of Matthews previous E.P.s find their way to vinyl. Until then, the E.P. is "Temper Of The Times" and it is available on all of your favorite streaming services.

 

 

 

6 comments:

steve simels said...

I was previously unaware of this guy. Very cool stuff, thanks.

Noel M said...

Sounds great! And another artist I never, ever would have heard of if not for your radar and you sharing it here. Thank you for not only picking the best tunes from the past but keeping me apprised of no small amount of new stuff too.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff - another new turn-on from Sal!

I Got Lost just added to my newest Ipod playlist!

Randy

hpunch said...

I really like this. I totally hear Mark Hudson's all over those background vocals and production . And that's a very good thing.

M_Sharp said...

I never heard of him before, but I'll be checking him out. Those are excellent songs!

Christine said...

Wow - "Russian Doll"! I have to listen to the whole record now! Thanks!