Monday, June 12, 2023

Mollusc Music

 



I first mentioned Octopus in 2019, sharing the first track from their 1971 debut as a Song Of The Day. I hadn't played the album since then and hearing a track pop up this weekend on the iPod shuffle, reminded me that I did indeed dig "Restless Night." I featured that iPod surprise as yesterday's Song Of The Day, but here it is again, with two more.

Octopus were one and done, though Nigel Griggs did go on to play with Split Enz. "Restless Night" deserves a proper reissue. Original copies of the album fetch up to $1000 and even some shakey reissues are getting close to $100, if you include shipping from Malta. Of course, these numbers only apply to those like me who like hard copies.

You can and should listen to the whole thing on YouTube.

As I said in the brief blurb in 2019, Octopus reminds me of Badfinger with balls. In any event, enjoy these tracks and maybe you'll dig for more.






7 comments:

JAYESSEMM said...

"Badfinger With Balls" -- good line!

buzzbabyjesus said...

Good stuff. "Badfinger with balls"= Big Star/Ardent at my house.
I hear a little bit of Edison Lighthouse "Love Grows(Where My Rosemary Goes)", which I like, in "Summer".

efredd said...


Thanks for the sampling, and based on that, I'm gonna check them out more...mission

accomplished, sir!

pmac said...

Enjoyed the posts of that group. Agree re the Badfinger reference. Many thanks, Sal.

Crafted Nouns said...

Summer is a great track many thanks for that - good spot about Badfinger too. Their live version of I Am The Walrus shows what The Fab Four could've sounded like if they'd done any more live gigs after 1966.

Christine said...

Love the title "Mollusc Music". I really liked "Summer". Will have to listen to all three again.

Guy Incognito said...

As a Split Enz fan, I'm surprised I haven't heard of this. Can't wait to listen, and thanks for continuing to write these wonderfully educational posts