Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Lovely


 

I first met Maurice Brown in 2003. Originally from Chicago, he had settled in New Orleans and was currently in residency at the city's famed jazz club, Snug Harbor. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. After that first show, I became a fan for life. I had never witnessed a trumpet player take command as a player, leader and exciting front man all at once and I had to tell him. We've been friends ever since.

Some of the hottest and freshest music I had ever heard came from Brown's trumpet and ensembles. Whether playing it straight with his quintet or funkin' it up with the larger group Soul'd U Out, Maurice had taken New Orleans by storm. And then sadly, the storm took it all back. My friend is now a New Yorker. He has toured with and won Grammys for his work with Tedeschi-Trucks, and most recently settled into a Las vegas residency with Silk Sonic.

The track here is a Maurice Brown original called "Lovely," and it is one of the most beautiful pieces of music you will ever hear. Last night at City Winery, it was played for me.

All of Maurice's records are special, so please check them out:

"Hip To Bop"

"The Cycle Of Love"

"The Mood"

 

8 comments:

Michael Giltz said...

NYC's gain is def New Orleans' loss. Great track.

Christine said...

Very lovely - and this comes from me, a not-so-much brass instrument lover.

cmealha said...

What a great birthday gift!

Troy said...

That's really terrific! Beautiful song. Happy belated birthday!

kevin m said...

Happy Birthday Sal!

buzzbabyjesus said...

Wow! Happy Birthday, and man that was a nice shout out!

His playing and tone on this reminds me a little of Lester Bowie, who I was listening to earlier today.

hpunch said...

Man,, you got a nice round of applause too it was your birthday? Even better,

pp said...

Yoikes! You dazoive it :)