Sunday, March 24, 2024

Songs Of The Week, 2024: 3/16-3/22

 


Flame Thrower Love- Dead Boys
It's Love- King's X
Sugar Babe- Mance Lipscomb
For All That I Am- The Creation
Hopper- Paul Weller
I Want You- Cyril Neville
Fools Fall In Love- Elvis Presley

zip

Flame Thrower Love- Dead Boys
It's seems you either love punk or you don't, but if you do, you'd probably agree that "Young, Loud & Snotty" is the "Let It Bleed" of punk rock records. This is not from that album.

It's Love- King's X

I've never been able to categorize King's X. Yes, they hang somewhat comfortably with the heavy metal crowd. But they possess so much more.

Sugar Babe- Mance Lipscomb

"All I want my babe to do
Make five dollars and give me two"

For All That I Am- The Creation

Mods or rockers? I highly recommend Numero Group's "Action Painting" collection.

Hopper- Paul Weller
The revisiting of some later Weller records that didn't hit me first time around continues to pay off. Check out this beauty from "A Kind Revolution."

I Want You- Cyril Neville
One of my very favorite Dylan covers.

Fools Fall In Love- Elvis Presley

A b-side recorded during the "How Great Thou Art" sessions! How's that happen?



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the gospel sessions ended May 28, 1966 but clearly they had a little extra time that night, recording "Come What May" and "Fools Fall In Love." This was followed by a two week break.

Cheersm, Dean

Noel M said...

Looking forward to hearing this Dylan cover ... I saw Dylan twice in a row less than 2 weeks ago so he's really been on my mind. (Always is.)

JAYESSEMM said...

Well done -- thanks Sal.

I don't listen to enough Elvis!

neal t said...

What album is I Want You. on?

steve simels said...

Can’t wait to hear the Neville Dylan cover.

Sal Nunziato said...

Neal T,
https://www.discogs.com/master/650145-Various-Blues-On-Blonde-On-Blonde

Unknown said...

Sal, where's your other blog? (I see the Jules Shear lp cover and immediately thought of "The Longest Drink" from it. Gods I LOVE that track!)
Also, long overdue thank you (!!!) for the piece on The TOMS Applestation album. I bought two vinyl copies and the DL from Bandcamp. Marolda has said he's almost finished a new one.
-valis
former blogger at Trip Inside This House

Sal Nunziato said...

Valis,
The other blog is "Now Playing." It started simply as a place for me to keep track of what I listen to. Just a personal blog that I enjoyed adding to. But then I thought I'd share it, hoping readers would see what I was listening to and then start a different conversation than what was going on at Burning Wood. Just click the pic on the right side bar under Now Playing.

Unknown said...

Thanks Sal. longtime fan of Jules Shear. Read about him in either Trouser Press or New York Rocker waaaaay back when. That Got No Breeding got a lot of rotations. "Shadows Break" still haunts the inner canyons. I contacted him once and got a nice reply.
-valis
PS Love what you do.