Friday, June 21, 2024

John Cale- Merciful Conclusion: THE WEEKEND MIX

 


A few people suggested I take what I considered the best of John Cale's two most recent records and create what I thought was a more manageable playlist. I have never been a fan of long records and both "Mercy" and "POPtical Illusion" are long. The sameness makes them feel even longer. Like, longass long. I spent time with both and came up with a 40 minute record, featuring four tracks from each, and when I gave it a test run, I wasn't any happier. 

Cale is one of my musical heroes, but I think these records are too heavy to carry around. Nothing happens. I keep waiting, but the vibe never changes.

Then I recalled something a person said. It might have been a friend in a text or someone in the comments section here. I don't remember who said this, but it was along the lines of, "I like making playlists that mix an artist's new record with some of my favorites from his catalogue. This way I can see how it all fits."

I decided to try that and came up with "Merciful Conclusion."

Let's see if these new songs know how to mingle with the old.

MERCIFUL CONCLUSION
Catastrofuk
Night Crawling
Davies And Wales
Noise of You
Entre Nous
All To The Good
Leaving It Up To You
Mary
Calling You Out
I Know You're Happy
Out Your Window
Dead Or Alive
How We See The Light
Mr. Wilson
Over Her Head

zip

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any list with Mr Wilson in it must be good. Looking forward to this.
/R, enthusiast

Anonymous said...

Good decision, great mix!

Randy

snakeboy said...

Maybe you could work for the artists as a fat trimmer / editor.
Sometimes a different set of ears is all that's needed.
Plus you added Mr. Wilson.

Anonymous said...

Before even listening, I'll say thanks because I really like what I like by Cale, but I've not liked much, so I need a compiler/curator and have appreciated your past work doing so with Thin Lizzy and Queen. And, yes, I believe I was introduced to Mr. Wilson, a keeper, via this blog.
C in California

Sjm said...

This reminds me of a guy I knew who wanted to like an artist's new album so much he eventually told me 'If I listen to it and imagine I'm listening to his older stuff, it's actually not too bad'.

strummer62 said...

Any list with Dead Or Alive on it is a great one ! thank you for this

buzzbabyjesus said...

The return of vinyl seems to be making for shorter records. And songs. That's a good thing.

Noel M said...

Way cool - thanks a ton for this!

JD said...

Thanks so much - makes my weekend.

cmealha said...

The only ones I was familiar with were "Dead or Alive" and "Mr Wilson" but I did like the majority of the tunes. I'll have to dig in some more.