Sunday, June 2, 2024

Songs Of The Week, 2024: 5/25-5/31


 

For What It's Worth- The Staple Singers
Black Tears- Ian Hunter & The Rant Band
Silver Tongue- Prince
Ska Jerk- Bob Marley & The Wailers
When My Ship Comes In- Jill Sobule
Rubber Neckin' (Chick Check'n)- Lou Courtney
That's What You Do To Me- Roscoe Gordon

zip

For What It's Worth- The Staple Singers
(There are few things in life as cool as this arrangement.)

Black Tears- Ian Hunter & The Rant Band
(Going back to when Ian was a spring chicken of 73 on this excellent track from "When I'm President.")

Silver Tongue- Prince
(A new official release of this Prince/Nikka Costa collab. As I said a few days ago, I would love to hear an entire Prince jazz combo vocal album. I bet there's one already finished in that damn vault.)

Ska Jerk- Bob Marley & The Wailers

(The funnest song of the week, as The Wailers appropriate Jr. Walker for this gem.)

When My Ship Comes In- Jill Sobule

(Jill Sobule is a lot more than "I Kissed A Girl" and "Supermodel." Her Todd Rundgren produced debut is terrific, as is 1997's "Happy Town," where you will find this track. I love this groove.)

Rubber Neckin' (Chick Check'n)- Lou Courtney
(This was almost part of The Cool Jerks repertoire. I voted "yea," but the "nahs" had it. A great b-side if there ever was one.)

That's What You Do To Me- Roscoe Gordon
(Mr. Gordon covers his early 50's Sun single 50 years later...speaking of grooves I love.)



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't realize Todd produced the Jill S. album - he sure did get around back in the day.

Big thumbs up to the Prince and Bob M. tracks, it would be nice to hear more Princejazzzz.

Hard to go wrong with Lou and Roscoe. BTW, how is No Dark In America?

Great mix, thanks!

Randy

JD said...

Awesome mix - as usual. You are spot on regarding The Staple Singers. What a groove. Made my day. Thanks.

Sal Nunziato said...

Randy,
About half of "No Dark In America" is really great. Def worth the time.

soundsource said...

yes to the Staples one of their great secular songs. and if i voted against the Lou Courtney song I'd like to change my vote