Sunday, June 23, 2024

Songs Of The Week, 2024: 6/15-6/21

 


Let Me Go- Rolling Stones
Corrina, Corrina- Rising Sons
The Russians Are Coming (Take Five)- Val Bennett
Call For All Demons- Sun Ra
Es Tu Cosa- Joe Bataan
Why I Went Missing- The Style Council
May My Heart Be Cast Into Stone- The Toys

zip


Let Me Go- Rolling Stones
Last week's "Emotional Rescue" discussion inspired this kick off.

Corrina, Corrina- Rising Sons

An oft-covered tune, but this one is a fave. It is sublime.

The Russians Are Coming (Take Five)- Val Bennett

Nothing beats a good ol' reggae appropriation.

Call For All Demons- Sun Ra

Very accessible Sun Ra. Don't be afraid.

Es Tu Cosa- Joe Bataan

Sorta, but not really a cover of The Isley Brothers. Definitely fantastic and cool.

Why I Went Missing- The Style Council
A friend and I were discussing the Style Council and he mentioned how "Confessions Of A Pop Group" is widely considered to be their worst record. But he (and I) think it's fantastic, especially this Weller gem.

May My Heart Be Cast Into Stone- The Toys

Girl group bliss.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All of these songs have made it to my latest Ipod playlist, 'cept for the Stones (which is on an earlier one).

My wish list from you for future post creations:

A collection of "accessible" Sun Ra songs
A mix of Northern Soul/R&B girl groups

Great SOTW, thanks!

Randy

steve simels said...

Ah, that Rising Sons track. Swoon.

Noel M said...

Thank you Sal!

Anonymous said...

The Style Council song is very top shelf blue eyed soul for sure and the reggaefied take 5 is great. fyi there are lots of other reggae/ ska versions of this song out including the Specials and King Tubby.
rs

Marc said...

I'm another one of those people who has tended to dismiss Emotional Rescue, but Let Me Go sounded pretty damn good tonight. I still don't like the title track, but I should probably give the rest of it another try.

I downloaded "The Russians are Coming" years ago from another blog, so when my son was learning Take Five on the piano, I was able to share that with him, along with the Dave Brubeck original.

Marc