Friday, July 26, 2024

"The Rykodisc Bonus Tracks": THE WEEKEND MIX

 


Back in the early days of the compact disc, when all that was available were classical music CDs and for some reason the Alien Sex Fiend catalogue, any news of a major artist getting their records upgraded to CD was big news. So needless to say, when Rykodisc got the rights to David Bowie's RCA catalogue, I almost plotzed. There had been inferior U.K. pressings of some his albums, but Ryko was going all in with mastering and bonus tracks. 

Many years and six reissue campaigns later, Bowie's "era boxes" in the wake of his death, purported to be the final word, except, even the "Re:Call" discs included with each volume, extras that were supposed to gather all stray tracks, remixes, b-sides, etc., failed to do so. Many of those Ryko bonus tracks were missing. 

I hadn't heard many of them in years, so I made a playlist for myself and that's what we have for this Weekend Mix.

My mix isn't complete either, as there are just too many, and I didn't see a need to add single edits or live versions. I tried collecting just the missing tracks, give or take for playback sake.

TRACKLIST:
1984/Dodo
Candidate (demo)
Look Back In Anger 1988
After Today
I Pray, Ole
It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City
Abulmajid
Some Are
The Supermen (alt. version)
All Saints
Space Oddity 1979
Heroes (Aphex Twin Remix)
Growin' Up


zip

11 comments:

cjbennett said...

Thanks for this. I just read about his recordings of Springsteen tracks. Can't wait to hear this!

Anonymous said...

Sooper Dooper, thanks!

Randy

neal t said...

sal recently switched 2 Apple Music as they have lossless & was just curious r ur playlist u post lossless?

Sal Nunziato said...

Sorry Neal. My zips are not lossless. I'm grabbing tracks from all over, hard drives, 45s, CD comps, etc.

Jim G said...

Same problem with Elvis Costello and reissues by Ryko, Rhino and who knows who else. I've lost track.

neal t said...

thnx just curious won't change me listening :)

dogbreath said...

Many thanks for this - you're spoiling me/us. Some good stuff here of which I'm unaware. In the midst of going through the Rock 'n' Roll Star box set sampling the extras inside. Cheers!

Cleveland Jeff said...

seems like the zip isn't working today

Sal Nunziato said...

Jeff,
All okay on my end. Your browser maybe?

Cleveland Jeff said...

Thanks. Got it.

Noel M said...

Whoa, this is like a service to humanity! Thanks for these. I was intrigued with the Rykodisc Bowie CDs when they came out - even the jewelcases were cooler than usual, with their semi-opaque colorings and raised stripes - but I didn't know how cool they'd seem in years to come, with these bonus tracks. In recent years I've picked up several of them but not all yet, so this helps a lot!