Sunday, October 20, 2024

Songs Of The Week, 2024: 10/12-10/18

 


I Wanna Be With You- Raspberries
Neat Neat Neat- The Damned
Caca de Vaca- Joe "King" Carrasco & The Crowns
Don't Listen To The Rumours- The Gaylads
Tonight- The Move
Why So Blue- Paul McCartney
Wild Age- Warren Zevon

zip

I Wanna Be With You- Raspberries
(The Lemon Twigs played Cleveland last week and covered "If You Change Your Mind" from the Raspberries' "Fresh," which of course, made me reach for that Raspberries' record.)

Neat Neat Neat- The Damned
(Finally got around to finishing Lenny Kaye's book "Lightning Striking" which I really had fun with. His chapter on the U.K. punk scene set me up for this one, a song I first heard by Elvis Costello on a live bonus single included in "This Year's Model.")

Caca de Vaca- Joe "King" Carrasco & The Crowns
(I wanted to hear "Buena" from the same album, but this caught my eye. Possibly the most fun song written about about cow dung.)

Don't Listen To The Rumours- The Gaylads

(The Gaylads classic 1970 album "Fire & Rain" is getting its first ever reissue this week. You should listen to it if you love this as much as I do.)

Tonight- The Move

(I read a really bitter review of ELO's performance at the Moody Theatre in the Austin Chronicle. Not sure what the hell was up writer Raoul Hernandez' ass regarding Jeff Lynne, but my mind being what it is, brought me to this classic Move track.)

Why So Blue- Paul McCartney
("Memory Almost Full," a record I once deeply disliked, has now become one of my very favorite Macca records. I always reach for the rare vinyl copy, until I regretfully sold it a few months back. The good news is, I plugged in the iPod and listened to the digital version which has three bonus tracks I had totally forgotten about. This one is a beauty, something that could only come from the head and heart of Paul.)

Wild Age- Warren Zevon

(One of my favorite tracks from the album no one liked because it came after "Excitable Boy."


Wild Age- Warren Zevon

2 comments:

neal t said...

read reviews of Jeff's tour. it is an awesome show. Saw wonderful shows this summer; Stones, outlaw tour with Willie, Bob & Mellencamp all @ top of their game, 10CC, Built to Spill, all wonderful shows. Jeff's beat them all. don't let one tool "bring you down"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2024/09/26/jeff-lynne-elo-farewell-tour-review/75355665007/

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed the mix, especially The Gaylads and The Damned!

Nuther gooden, thanks!

Randy