As I begin preparing the second round of reader compiled mixes that rock, I thought I'd pay tribute to ZZ Top's groovemaster Frank Beard who passed yesterday at the age of 77. A number of ZZ Top tracks made my short list for these compilations, one of which was the Texas trio's first single "Salt Lick." Then, I realized, that first single from 1969 did not feature Frank Beard, but original Moving Sidewalks drummer Dan Mitchell.
Another track that absolutely rocks is "Pincushion," a song from later in ZZ Top's career, though still 32 years old. Then I thought, as much as I love the groove, the drums sound programmed, so not the best way to pay tribute to the late drummer.
The best example of just how groovy Frank Beard was on the kit, might be something obvious like "La Grange," which is a really badass shuffle that even I could not perfect the few times I tried playing it.
I finally decided to go with a deep cut. Whether it is a good example of Frank Beard's drumming or not, it is from my favorite ZZ Top album "Rhythmeen" and most likely a song that casual Top fans have not heard. The pocket is so deep on "Zipper Job" you'll need a miner's helmet to get out.
Until tomorrow, listen to Frank Beard rock today.
3 comments:
Great minds apparently think alike today, my friend. 😎
Waitin' For The Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago from my favorite, pre-synthesizer Tres Hombres.
In honor of him, should I grow a beard or always shave?
Post a Comment