"And you may ask yourself, Am I right, am I wrong?And you may say to yourself, My God, what have I done?"
There is no Day Five. I am overwhelmed. This really blew up!
If you were saving your big selection for Day Five, I'm sorry. But, how's this? You've got all weekend and next week to keep submitting. There will be more volumes.
Some numbers:
Approximately 325-350 songs submitted so far, give or take.
Approximately 75 were new to me, give or take.
Not one Bruce song. Interesting.
Various Anonymouses submitted the same songs 3, 4 and 5 times, as if voting for the Major League Baseball All-Star game.
Many more Anonymous commenters this week than any other time in BW history. Me thinks they were trying to skirt around the rule of one per day.
As for the mixes, guess what?
THEY ROCK!
I created five (so far) mixes from all of the submissions. With the exception of 16 songs chosen by me, the rest, about 85 are all you. I did my best to sequence each mix, focusing on transition, as well as pacing. I am happy with what I've put together, and I hope you will feel the same. Sequencing is important, damn it!
There were some truly fantastic songs left on the cutting room floor that I just didn't feel had the right vibe. I mean "Sing Sing Sing" rocks, but...not here. So if one of your songs is missing, I apologize.
"It's not personal Sonny, it's strictly business."
I had something in mind and I followed that original feeling. I guess we all have a definition of what "rocks," but I wasn't about to ask all of you individually, so these mixes represent my definition of songs that "rock" based of course, on what you submitted. These are your choices!
FYI- I desperately wanted to include Motorhead's "Ace Of Spades" and Judas Priest's "Steeler," as both have been rocking my world for over 40 years and both fit with my idea, but you've expressed your feelings for those bands in the past so, you're welcome. Neither made the cut. See? I am thinking of you.
Thanks for playing.
Now turn it up and enjoy the first two Weekend Mixes.
There's more where these came from!
Burning Woodsters Rock!
KOTJ Part 1
Kick Out The Jams- MC5
Good Times- The Easybeats
Rip This Joint- The Rolling Stones
Tough Lover- Etta James
Pay Bo Diddley- The Bluebloods
I Need To Know- Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Roll Over Beethoven (Live In Stockholm)- The Beatles
Gas Girl- The Bottlerockets
She Got Me (When She Got Her Dress On)- Masters of Reality
She's Just Killing Me- ZZ Top
Darling It Hurts- Paul Kelly & The Messengers
Waiting For The Thunder- Blackberry Smoke
Bastards Of Young- The Replacements
Girls- Iggy Pop
Castanets- Alejandro Escovedo
All Be Gone- Buffalo Tom
Maggie's Farm- Linda Gayle
Mercury Blues- David Lindley
Stagger Lee- The McCoys
Been A Fix- Izzy Stradlin & The Ju Ju Hounds
KOTJ Part 2
Get Down With It- Little Richard
Pipeline- Johnny Thunders
Baby Don't You Do It- The Who
Get Out Of Denver- Bob Seger
Exit- The Black Crowes
Hold Her Tight- The Osmonds
Viking- Los Lobos
Standing In The Rain- The James Gang
Call Me- The Hounds
So You Want To Be A Rock N Roll Star- Patti Smith
Shaggy Dog- The Neanderthals
Leave My Kitten Alone- The Beatles
Christabelle- The Sorrows
Liquor Fit- Sheek The Shayk & His Royal Camels
Stay Away From Downtown- Redd Kross
Rocks- Primal Scream
Open My Eyes- Nazz
Silver Naked Ladies- Paul Westerberg

25 comments:
Damn- not one of my songs made the cut ;)
These are just the first two volumes!
Fantastic! What a great week!
These look great. Thank for doing this. :)
Damnnit, I didn't think of being anonymous so I could make more suggestions! Also, "Sing Sing Sing" is a really righteous choice and DOES rock, though I understand why you didn't include it. Kudos to whomever suggested.
No one suggested it. I mentioned it as an example.
A fantastic week, Sal! Thanks for the idea and the work you put into it. I had no choice but to be "anonymous". I won't get a cell phone, so Google et al won't let me open accounts .
The song(s) I was dithering over for Day 5 were:
Bobby Fuller & The Fanatics - Shakedown and Tore Up, Sleepy LaBeef's cover of The Midnighters' track.
Blake
I scored one on each of the first two playlists. Made my day.
Well done Sal (and all the Burning Wood Rawkers!)
Concrete Jungle - The Specials
These look great! I especially like the looks of the first mix. Thanks for doing this!
BTW, I had been holding on to my final suggestion until Friday: it's Friday at the Hideout by The Romantics (second album 'National Breakout'). I may add it to my personal copy regardless :). Have a great weekend ahead!
Congrats to all contributors; this should sound amazing!
Probably the biggest surprise of this weeklong exercise is the jaw dropping revelation that The Osmonds could rock.
I came here to suggest Open All Night by Bruce Springsteen and saw your comment that there was no Bruce. Well, here it is.
I am gobsmacked that you included The Hounds. Thank you from the bottom of my rapidly aging rock n roll heart. 😎
Here's my last one for the week!
Heaven & Hell - The Easybeats
Captain Al
"Heaven & Hell" is oNe of the single greatest examples of amazing record making EVAH!
I had about 10 songs I was choosing between for the 5th and final spot. Glad you've removed that responsibility from me now. :-)
You beat me to it!😎
The Move — Brontosaurus
Every time I think of a song I go back through the comments to see if anyone mentioned it and then I get sidetracked thinking of all these great songs people have picked. Thank you for such a cool thread, Sal! Thank you all for the tunes.
That being said, "Cadillac Walk" by Cub Koda & The Points for round 2
Books About UFOs - Hüsker Dü
- Paul in DK
The b-side of Linda Gayle's "Maggie's Farm" is a banging "Got My Mojo Working." The backing musicians are on fire and are likely the same A-Team guys who played on Dylan's Nashville stuff (Charlie McCoy for sure).
Bob in IL
Some day, and that day might never come, Sal will call you to do a service for him.
And if he doesn't... it's there because it rocks!
It's been a great week! I saw a few songs and didn't remember them being rockers, but after the first 20 seconds on YouTube they definitely rocked! There's a lot more to check. Thanks for the mixes, Sal!
Post a Comment