There is a new Strawberry Alarm Clock record out featuring almost all of the original members. This wasn't particularly exciting news for me. I don't recall liking the "Incense & Peppermints" album very much, and I'm pretty sure I'd remember anything else that followed if it was worth remembering. Then, I saw that the new album, titled "Where's One?" was an ungodly 59 minutes long. I pretty much decided I wasn't going to bother.
But then I bothered. And I am glad I did.
First, "Where's One?" needn't be 59 minutes long. Two unnecessary Beatles' covers and two silly songs that close the album equal 20 minutes of time that ruin an otherwise very solid psychedlic pop record. Once I made my own personal edit, "Where's One?" sounded ever better than the first two passes. And truth be told, I forgot to remove one of The Beatles' covers, "Within You, Without You," and it's better than I thought.
I've been told that the first two records by the Alarm Clock deserve more attention. It seems the band was unfairly pigeonholed thanks to their one hit. From the sound of the new record, I think it's time to go back and give those records a chance.
Neither the songs nor production here sound dated, or what I imagine the band's original albums might have sounded like. "Where's One?" could sit beside any current power pop band and occasionally kick some asses, to boot. And while there are a few sprinkles of trippy novelty, "Where's One?" will not leave you fishing for hooks. This is a very welcome return.
4 comments:
Too bad Ed King, the SAC guitarist who died in the Lynyrd Skynyrd plane crash didn't live to play on the new one.
Ed King is dead, but he did not die in the plane crash.
Mike
I stand corrected. Could have sworn, though....
Maybe you were thinking of Buddy Holly.
Post a Comment