I know I have my memories of this day, 25 years ago. They have not faded at all. Every second of that day is vivid, and some of those memories still occasionally haunt me.
"Never forget?" Come on, now. How could anyone forget?
Because of that shared tragedy, the nation came together, at least for a few days. Americans seemed to bond together in shared sorrow and determination. For a few days, there were no hyphenated Americans, no Irish, Italian, Native, Afro, Asian or Latin before the term American. People seemed to care for each other.
That is something that we've unfortunately forgotten.
Today we remember the dead, the heroes, those left behind without mothers and fathers, parents who lost children. We honor EVERYONE who did what they could to get all of us through the horror.
Tomorrow?
Well, I predict it'll be back to business, hating on skin color, sexual preference, women, and the litany of phobias that for a short time 25 years ago, mattered not.
8 comments:
Sad but true. Well said.
Amen, sadly.
I had a friend who was Battalion Comander stationed in Ladder Company 3. His command base was in Building 1.
'nough said.
On the topic of unity, I had some bitterness to deliver about our current "leadership." But never mind. Not today. Let's all just try to get through the day.
Thanks - so well stated.
I don't think I've used the word 'eloquent' in a very long time. This fits the bill. Thank you for sharing.
Amen, brother! Peace
outstanding Sal. thank you for that profound posting.
Post a Comment