Friday, September 18, 2026

"Glittering Sequence": THE WEEKEND MIX


 

On the surface this may appear to be a random collection of songs. But I wouldn't be lying if I said, the idea for this mix first came to me in 1981. And again years later. And once again in 2014. 

And here we are.

Back to 1981, I was throwing a birthday party for my girlfriend at the time and my friend Chris invited me to the DJ studio at Baruch College where he spun music for the college station WBAB. We spent the day creating mixed tapes for the party, and that's when I first heard the genius of The Beatles' "You Can't Do That" fading out into the drum intro of "Train In Vain" by The Clash. It also reminded me of how eerie the transition from "Poorboy Shuffle" into "Feelin' Blue" on CCR's "Willy And The Poorboys" was.

And so, for years and years, I've paid attention to transitions. As you know, I love sequencing songs and I saved some of my favorites in a folder. Unfortunately, you won't be able to experience the crossfades on this mix. I tried once, using that feature on iTunes and it was a shambles. But use your imagination and try to dig what's here. At the very least, it's a pretty good random collection of songs.

Plus, it sounds good altogether. 

 

TRACKLIST:

She Cries Your Name- Beth Orton
Ode To Billie Joe- Bobbie Gentry
Mais Que Nada- Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
Little Floater- NRBQ
Jane- Golden Smog
A Whole New Thing- Big Star
Poorboy Shuffle- Creedence Clearwater Revival
Feelin' Blue- Creedence Clearwater Revival
Rock Music- Charli XCX
I Get Lifted- George McRae
Time Of The Season- The Zombies
Feelin' Alright- Lulu
You Can't Do That- The Beatles
Train In Vain- The Clash
Rosalita- Brice Springsteen

DIG IT 

6 comments:

Allan Rosenberg said...

Having DJ'ed on Area24Radio I developed the DJ super power of hearing crossfades in my head and your Weekend Mix is crossfade heaven!

You have the super power to the max!

Captain Al

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun. Thanks for the good work.

- Paul in DK

Cleveland Jeff said...

Great cover today. Gotta go get me some more Smog.

Michael Giltz said...

You'll have to throw a Burning Wood house party so we can hear the crossfades in person! Merch for sale in the back!

Noel M said...

Segues are a huge thing for me too. In fact, segues might be the main reason I loved making mixtapes. So, this will be fun to hear.

Anonymous said...

When I worked in radio I always wanted to segue "Master Jack" by Four Jacks and a Jill into "Wind Cries Mary" by you know who.

There's a great video of "Little Floater" from David Sanborn's show with Phil Woods blowing with the 'Q. (always loved Phil going crazy at the end of Paul Simon's "Have a Good Time.")

bob in IL