Tuesday, September 29, 2026

The Walrus Was Paul Prudhomme

 

 

I did some record shopping while in New Orleans and I saw a brand new record in the three stores I visited. It caught my eye because of the mock "Yellow Submarine" album cover. The devil said, "Eh. Who needs another Beatles cover album." But when I got home, I had a pang of guilt. I thought, "I should have known better," pun not intended.  So I dialed it up and man, did I love it. I did know better!

The Walrus is a New Orleans collective featuring guys from The Desert Nudes, who I've written about, Johnny Sketch & The Dirty Notes, Papa Mali, Mike Dillon, Jason Mingledorff, I mean, if you are into New Orleans music, you know who I am talking about. "Elysian Fields Forever"---love that title---is a New Orleans take on Beatles classics and if you're going to cover The Beatles, this is how to do it.

The Dave Bartholomew rip for the horns on "This Boy" and Andre Bohren's drum groove on "I've Got A Felling" sealed the deal for me. This whole record is a blast.

More HERE. 

 

5 comments:

kevin m said...

This sounds like a blast! Thanks Sal

Michael Giltz said...

Cued (or queued?) up!

steve simels said...

Very cool stuff.

Cleveland Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cleveland Jeff said...

Beatles covers is an idea I thought didn't have any life left in it. These tracks seem to put that notion to bed. Great stuff. Queued up the whole album for streaming. And Michael: it's definitely queue.