Friday, September 8, 2017

Art & Soul: THE WEEKEND MIX



I've collected hundreds of deep soul tracks over the years. It was a rare occasion when I'd find an actual hard copy on 45. But finding MP3's was a different story. I became obsessed for a few years. It seemed that the deeper the track and the fewer the copies pressed, the better the performance. Making a great soul record is an art form, right down to the song title. (Check out the photo above. It's the details.)

So many of the singers, screamers and belters, never got out of the town where they were born. The lucky ones, if you can call them lucky, played the chitlin' circuit. The few still alive, often get the invite from Dr. Ike, to perform at the Ponderosa Stomp, where all who attend are truly the lucky ones.

I can't get enough of these tracks, especially those with spoken word intros and the truly unbelievable stories of cheaters and losers, and the heartbreakers and the heartbroken.

TRACKLIST

Shotgun Slim- Dyke & The Blazers
S.G.B. (Stone Graveyard Business)- Eddie Bo
Bad Girl- Hermon Hitson
I Was Checking Out- Don Covay
Non Support- Ironing Board Sam
Biggest Fool In Town- Gorgeous George
Sweet Woman's Love- Geater Davis
You Got Too (Part 2)- Huey "Piano" Smith
This Hurt Is Real- O.V. Wright
Who Dun It- Monk Higgins
Throw The Switch- Frederick Knight
Rubber Neckin' (Chick Check'n)- Lou Courtney
Lulu Was The You- Cal Waymon
You See Me- Robert Parker
I Am A Witness- Tommy Hunt

zip


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sal, a few years ago I was in the same groove but was leaning more towards obscure funk, and the more obscure the better (I know what you mean by deeper the track and fewer copies pressed equals better performance). The wonderful blog Funky 16 Corners was one of my go-to sites for mp3's and fueled my engine for the smokey, raw, greasy funk beat that I grew to love. I recognize several of the artists on your mix but most are new to me, so thanks!! Randy

Ken D said...

This looks like a real treat. Many thanks, Sal.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to this. Will fill a big gap. Thank you, Sal.
Tinpot

A walk in the woods said...

This looks nice - thank YOU for crate-diggin'/curating these cuts enough to bring us the best :) Looking forward to hearing.

jmills said...

Check out this blog,great stuff on it.
http://deepsouthernsoul.blogspot.com/

Enjoy

ken49 said...

I am always amazed at the musicianship on these southern soul 45's. Maybe some of them are studio professionals but I would guess a lot of them are just guys in the studio getting a chance to record. And of course playing live. Wonderful stuff.

buzzbabyjesus said...

Somehow I missed this on Friday. Acquiring now. Thanks. I love this stuff.

buzzbabyjesus said...

"Plug Side"

buzzbabyjesus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M_Sharp said...

Thanks, Sal! I like the obscurities, the B-sides, I'm looking forward to this.

Anonymous said...

I have one (Waymon's "Lulu"), and songs by many of the artists, and a different version of "Bad Girl" (by Lee Moses, who put out an album chock full of gems called "Time & Place"), so I'm diggin' it.
C in California