Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Forget What Happened Yesterday....



I can't be the only one who isn't terribly excited by the news of The Kinks reuniting. That isn't to say I don't want it to happen. I am very curious as to what will unfold. But what many hungry fans tend to forget is how much time has passed since their favorite band made music together. This goes for fans of all bands, not just Kinks fans. Rumors are also circulating about Led Zeppelin headlining the Glastonbury Festival in 2019. I am not exciting by that either.

Ray Davies has a new record that is ready to drop. Good timing for some publicity, no? Will this reunion be a one-off? A gig in a pub and then, bye bye? Ray did mention a new album. Will this be the completion of the unrecorded songs written for "Village Green?" Will it be all new material with full participation from Dave and Mick? All of this is yet to be seen. One thing I know I don't need to see is a band of men in their 70's, struggling through "You Really Got Me" "Superman," and "Destroyer."

Ray Davies "Americana" might not sound very much like The Kinks, but it is a wonderful record of an artist writing for his age. And speaking of a man writing for his age, I am more excited by the new Paul McCartney record than I am about a tour from either The Kinks or Led Zeppelin. I do hope Ray Davies, Dave Davies and Mick Avory hit the studio and focus on the music. Ray still has a lot to say and a new record by an older and wiser band of Kinks sounds like the most appealing of all the possibilities.





6 comments:

Bill said...

Yeah, a new Kinks album would be preferred to a mega tour.

After hearing the news, I listened to Word of Mouth and State of Confusion this morning--2 albums that I probably haven't listened to in 10 years, but ones that were on regular rotation back in the day. Word of Mouth sounded a little thin, production-wise, but there are a couple of songs on it that are among my Kinks favorites.

I was pleasantly surprised with State of Confusion, and hearing Don't Forget To Dance again made me swoon a bit.

Anonymous said...

i had the same first reaction - "Great! I hope they don't blow it." Given the political situation in England right now, Ray certainly has material to work with.

dogbreath said...

A new album from The Kinks? There's no doubting the credentials & I'm intrigued to see what Sir Ray and the boys can produce after more than 20 years apart. Here's hoping...

buzzbabyjesus said...

Fingers crossed is all I have to say. The last Kinks album I really loved was "Everybody's In Showbiz".

kevin m said...

I'm in your camp here Sal.

Both Ray Davies and Robert Plant have had very satisfying (and in the case of Plant, very profitable) solo careers. They have all the money they need. Not sure why they would feel the need to get the band together after decades apart. They have nothing left to prove.

Anonymous said...

Exactly right, Sal. Studio recordings, sure. But live performances? I think that day is done, much as I miss them.