Monday, June 18, 2018

Live Albums, And The Responsibility Of Artist To Fan




I heard Lulu sing at B.B. King's about five years ago. She looked and sounded great. "Oh Me, Oh My" made my knees buckle. Then, the song everyone was waiting for, was introduced like this--

"We worked up a new version of an old favorite for you."

UH-OH!

The sold out crowd stood frozen, as one of their favorite songs of all time and possibly the only reason they were in this club in the first place, was now being served as a new reggae tune. Talk about a crushing disappointment. "To Sir With Love," Lulu's signature song and biggest hit, now sounded like Ya Mon & The Meat Patties playing the pool bar at the Jamaican Hilton.

For years, I'd see Todd Rundgren and he never played "Hello It's Me." It never bothered me that much. I didn't care either way because there was too much I wanted hear instead. But many did want to hear it including my mother, who I did take to see Todd back in the 80's. She does love "Hello It's Me" and guess what? He played it...but mocked the whole thing, mucking up lyrics and rearranging the music. It was one step above Bill Murray's hilarious SNL lounge act. My mother was crushed.

Have you seen this clip?


Say what you want about Billy Joel. I know there are a lot of haters out there, but even he knows "We Didn't Start The Fire" isn't very good. Still, he plays it anyway because it was a hit and the fans want to hear it.  I saw Aimee Mann at Town Hall years ago and someone called out for "That's Just What You Are," a song she co-wrote with Glenn Tilbrook, and one I would have loved to hear myself, and she replied, "I am so tired of playing that fucking song." And she didn't play it. Thanks Aimee.


Prior to Jimmy Page's recent campaign of releasing vault material, Led Zeppelin's only live record was the soundtrack to the ill-fated and mostly unbearable concert film, "The Song Remains The Same." While the film is a mess, I have always loved the double live set. It is flawed, and pieced together from a week of 1973 performances at Madison Square Garden, but that doesn't take away from the music itself. I am not here to sell the LZ haters. But as a devoted fan, there was something amazing about hearing extended jams of songs that ran half the length on the studio records, especially in 1977 when YouTube and BitTorrent and high quality bootlegs were not at your fingertips.  Since then, and just a few weeks ago, Page released "How The West Was Won," a complete document of the band's June, 1972 performance in L.A., and it really and truly might be definitive.

David Bowie's two live outings, 1974's "David Live" and 1978's "Stage" were both huge disappointments at the time, because they both sounded fake, and in some ways, they were. The former had issues with the recordings from the Tower Theatre in Philly, and vocals and some instrumentation needed to be overdubbed after the fact, creating a record that had backing vocals louder than anything else on stage. The latter was sequenced out of the original running order of the performance and faded out after every song, dispelling the illusion of being at a concert. These records, especially "David Live" and "The Song Remains The Same," are examples of artists radically changing arrangements and yet somehow, I don't mind as much. I've warmed up to both of Bowie's live records, but neither are faves for the reasons mentioned. I look at the Bowie records as two more Bowie records as opposed to live documents.

Jeff Lynne's recent reboot of ELO just released a live record from Wembley. The arrangements are so dead on, it sounds like a DJ is playing the "Greatest Hits" record to a soccer stadium full of people. What's the point of that?

The reason I've written all of this is because I listened to "The Clash At Shea Stadium" this weekend. It is a record that I have had for years. I played it then, enjoyed it, and hadn't thought about it since. I saw a cheap vinyl copy this weekend and grabbed it and it absolutely knocked me out!

I was at Shea in 1982 and I recall nothing, except maybe a lot of people and some rain. I couldn't tell you about The Who's performance and I don't remember seeing David Johansen at all. As for The Clash, if I had been blown away back then the way I was blown away this weekend, I would have still been talking about it 36 years later. I was especially taken by "Rock The Casbah," which I posted above. If 50K screaming Who fans were going to buy this band from England, it was during the performance of their biggest hit in the US, and The Clash rage through it, almost completely abandoning the funky groove of the studio version by simply bashing through the verses. It's different and it works! The whole record feels like this.

The Clash played like a band that had been together for 25 years instead of 5 and maybe that's the key. That fresh desire to impress, became one of the hottest sets of music I have ever heard. They weren't yet tired of their material, but instead were still excited by it enough to add new life to each song, even when there was still plenty of life to be had. Arrangements mixed up just enough to keep the band on their toes, but still faithful enough not to alienate fans old or new.

"The Clash At Shea Stadium" is my new favorite live record, at least for the time being. It reminds me of why I love music and why I used to go and hear more bands than I do now. It also proves that even in 2008, there was still a way to create real product for fans to hold, keep and go back to time and again.















23 comments:

RugbyLad said...

I was at that Shea concert as well. My favorite live album, and it raises the bar extremely high is Live at Leeds. How could any band make a better live album than that? I know, release an extended triple CD of Live at Leeds while cleaning up some of the crackle and pops

Anonymous said...

I suggested to a friend that we go see Rickie Lee Jones, and she stated that she was only playing her current album--which wasn't her best work.

We held out hope that we'd at least get "Chuck E's In Love" as an encore. But, no. It was the single most self-indulgent act I've ever seen. I mean, who would even consider doing so? Are your fans expected to slavishly support and be grateful for every note you've ever sung? What an ego!

Don't get me wrong... I have no problem with bands presenting a beloved album in it's entirety, or a series of albums during a several show run. X did their first five albums in five consecutive nights--which was brilliant.

A band can do whatever they want in concert... but I feel they have an obligation to let the fans know up front if there's NO CHANCE they're going to hear any of the songs that the artist is known for.

Rickie Lee Jones turned two die-hard fans into resentful adversaries that night. It was years ago, and I've only just begun to listen to her music again.

Shriner said...

Admittedly, some of my favorite live albums are where the performer doesn't veer too far from the recorded version (with the exception of maybe tempo and different guitar solos -- "Live Rust" is an prime example of that -- as is "Pop Art Live" by The Raspberries. And anything live by The Jam.

The Replacements "Live At Maxwell's" release last year was a revelation, though. You can read about the band's live shows, but this blew me away to hear what it was when they fired on all cylinders (and there's a reason "The Shit Hits The Fans" is so iconic...). Same with Zappa's "Halloween 77" set. And The Plimsouls "Beach Town Confidential" with it's awesome band version of "Who's Gonna Break The Ice".

But as I flip through my iTunes, I do think it's worth calling out Neil Young's live stuff. His Live archive series stuff is just awesome.



But, yeah, I agree completely about the ELO Wembley set. It didn't stop me from getting a ticket to see them in August though as I figure it's probably the last time to see Jeff Lynne take something like that on the road.

FD13NYC said...

Not too much of Live album fan myself. I like some of the obvious ones. Ya Ya’s The Stones, Deep Purple Made in Japan, Cheap Trick Budokan, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC and some others. Sound quality is not always a good factor. But two that come to mind after being remixed and/or remastered is Frampton Comes Alive and Humble Pie Rockin’ The Fillmore (that one is a fave), both sound terrific to my ears anyway. But another one that stands out for me, probably because I was there at the recording of it is Joe Jackson’s Big World, you might have been there too or Carl got tickets for my birthday or something. Sound and performance is excellent, again to my ears anyway.
But yes, there are Live albums that I go back to time and again with pleasure and a smile.

Anonymous said...

serendipity - the Quietus just posted this article: http://thequietus.com/articles/24791-thin-lizzy-live-and-dangerous-review-anniversary

tempted to say that punk and underground bands of the 70-80's had more on the line with their live shows. who was going to seek out their records otherwise?

Bill said...

I went to see Nick Lowe last year in a small theater in NJ. It was a great show, and if you have the chance to see him, do go as he is a great performer and host for a night's entertainment. Anyway, after the first song or two he said that he was going to play lots of different songs and would get to some of the songs that people wanted to hear, so no need to shout them out. He said it would be like going to see Billy Joel and not having him play "We Didn't Start the Fires," which got a chuckle.

Midway through the show he played "Cruel To Be Kind," and as the applause rang out at the end of the song he stepped to the microphone and sang "We didn't start the fire..." It was a nice moment.

And while we're on the subject, I do recall an interviewer asking him if he ever got tired of singing a song like "Peace Love & Understanding." He said on the contrary. He looked on it as a gift of a song he had written and it would be selfish and rude of him not to play it at a show.

Anonymous said...

Hi Again,

it's about that Misty In Roots album that I mentioned a few weeks ago in response to 'The Holy Trinity'.
The thing with this particular album is that there was nothing else (recorded) to go on.
Misty chose to release their first album as a document of their live show.
Are there other's whose first release was a live recording?

Other live albums that hit the spot for me are Van's 'It's Too Late To Stop Now' with it's glorious alternating mix of originals and standards plus Them's 'Gloria' thrown in for luck. And how about Marley's 'Live At The Lyceum'? The arrival of a genius.
Recently I've enjoyed Little Steven's 'Soulfire Live' too especially with some of the tracks coming from the concert I attended in Berlin.

And of course those Johnny Cash prison albums!

Dave L
Berlin, Germany





Noam Sane said...

If you're stuck somewhere where that song is playing, just mentally change the lyrics to "we light our farts on fire." It will get you through. Plus bonus callback to the chapter in Zappa's autobiography titled "The Manly Art of Fart-burning."

Todd's "State" tour was goofy and OK by me, since I know his schtick, but Mrs. Sane was not happy when the only familiar tunes were stuck in a throw-away 3-minute encore medley. I tried to warn her.

I still remember walking out of the store with "Song Remains..." under my arm - 17 years old, beautiful and stoned. The package was gorgeous and I did not feel let down in the least by the music. I recall a review in RS (or maybe Creem) that stated "even fans don't like it." Bullshit. It's mostly fantastic (jesus, those guitar solos on "Celebration Day.")

Babylon By Bus is a great double-live. And I'll defend "Yessongs" to my dying breath.

rick said...

I've had almost the opposite experience a couple of times: some years back, I took my one of my brothers to The Bottom Line to see Donovan. 'I wonder what he's been up to lately', was how I approached the concert. Nothing, was the answer; he played the old hits and not even one new song. It was fun but weird. I guess it was just an act of nostalgia.

mauijim said...

Big live album fan here. The Stones Brussels Affair is my favorite, having it as a King Biscuit boot in 74 to the cd age boot and now as a digital download from Google Play and the japanese cd release. But the live album I would like to promote is Page with the Black Crowes. Live Zep was a hit and miss affair for me. Too self indulgent but this cd has the band sounding very excited and adding energy to these very familiar songs. First it was hear someone other than Plant singing these songs but now really dig it

Unknown said...

Been listening to the Clash for 30 or so minutes now, and it is great. May have to dig out my Clash albums for the first time in years, though I don't recall any of them being this consistently excellent.
As for my faves ... the live album I have listened to the most would be Van's Too Late to Stop Now. Others have thrilled me, but have never been on regular rotation.
That excellent Quietus article recommended above explains why that might be.
Thanks, Sal for another eye (ear) opening post.
Tinpot

buzzbabyjesus said...

I felt the same way about "Shea Stadium". I'll have to give it a spin.
I saw The Clash play The Hollywood Palladium twice, once with Tops, and the other with Terry and they most certainly rocked the casbah.

DaveF said...

I've always loved Live At Shea. For me it has a ferocious presentation to it with the band firing on all four cylinders. A brilliant performance. I remember playing it in my car at a deafening level on a hot summer's night years ago. I think I'll give it a spin tonight. Thanks for the reminder.

Joe said...

Some folks seemed to think that The Band sounded too country and not enough rock and roll. Well, Rock of Ages with great horn charts from Allen Toussaint certainly proved that these guys could deliver the goods.

Still my favorite live album. While they were faithful to the songs, with Toussaint's arrangements, they elevated the music and gave it another dimension. A winning combination.

joe

buzzbabyjesus said...

"Free Live" is possibly my favorite Free album, and for sure one of my favorite live albums.

I had a room mate play The velvet Underground's "1969 Live" over and over. It's post Cale, released after they broke up to cash in on "Transformer", and has one of the worst album covers, ever. That was my gateway into The Velvets. The whole album is worth a listen.
I fell for Disc Two in particular with "The Ocean, Pale Blue Eyes", and finally the most sublime "White Light/White Heat" I know.

Christine said...

Thanks for Live at Shea! I am really enjoying listening. I was at the 1982 show, as well. I don't even remember who I was with, only that we had pretty shitty seats. My most vivid memory was of crazed, probably wasted, fans being pulled out of the crowd on the floor, by whatever security outfit existed at the time Nobody else seems to remember this! Happy I was there, but I never again settled for shitty seats after that!

kevin m said...

I saw this tour back in 82 in Buffalo. I remember The Clash was awesome and The Who was giant disappointment.

Live at Shea is great. It's a damn shame the band basically broke up a year later when Mick Jones was fired.

Keith35 said...

Yep, that is what made The Dead such a great live act. Every night a different show. Every time a song was played it was a little different than the last time. Luckily they recorded most of their shows so fans have a wealth of live recordings to enjoy

Anonymous said...

"I saw Aimee Mann at Town Hall years ago and someone called out for "That's Just What You Are," a song she co-wrote with Glenn Tilbrook, and one I would have loved to hear myself, and she replied, "I am so tired of playing that fucking song." And she didn't play it."

In the late 60's I roadied for a band on Buddah records that opened up for Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Near the end of his opening acoustic set he asked for songs from the folks there - Someone requested "Last Trip To Tulsa". I will always remember this...I don't play that song anymore

rob

Anonymous said...

Why, I thought that EVERYBODY knew the finest live albums, in no particular order, are Nick Cave Live Seeds, Graham Parker Live Alone In America, Black Oak Arkansas Raunch N Roll Live, U2 At Red Rocks, J Geils Band Live Full House. Some boots -- REM live UK 3.15.01, Squirrel Bait live at City Gardens 7.27.86 -- also come to mind.
C in California

kodak ghost said...

Agree with a lot of these suggestions esp. Free, the Band and of course Van Morrison - and I had forgotten about J. Geils Full House - good one!I will add John Martyn and Little Feat (Waiting for Columbus) which I revisited a year or so ago after a suggestion on your blog.... possibly BBJ.

I remember an interview with Ralph McTell about playing Streets of London every night, and he said its what people expect and its pays the rent. Perhaps the Aimee Manns of this world have forgotten what got them there and they don't need the rent money any more.

Mr. Baez said...

Wow, a Black Oak Arkansas fan! I was a photographer's assistant on several of their early 70s albums and man, they were really a wild bunch of guys. And you're correct about "Raunch N Roll." It Rawks!
"The David Bowie ‎– Live Santa Monica '72" is a great live album. I was at that show and it pretty well captures the energy and excitement of the night and times.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of awful song re-arrangenments: when I saw the Steely Dan comeback tour in '93 at Shoreline, I just about walked out during the first 5 minutes when the band opened with an elevator-muzak version of The Royal Scam. WTF? I didn't leave, and of course, the show had nowhere to go but up from there. In the end it was pretty good, if a bit stiff.

Just the opposite, on the loose end of things, I saw plenty of Dylan gigs since the 80s where he changed the tunes and phrasing around so much -and usually for the worse- you couldn't even recognize the song for the first minute or so. Drove me nuts. But I guess Dylan's been breaking the model of responsibility to (and expectations of) his fans since the 60s.

-Peacenik