Saturday, November 10, 2018

Songs Of The Week, 2018: 11/3-11/9

I'm In The Mood For Love- Lord Tanamo
You Better Move On- Travis Wammack
Darling Be Home Soon- Jules Shear
And The Night Stood Still- Dion
Nowhere Is My Home- The Replacements
Surreal Estate- Be Bop Deluxe
Stone Cold Crazy (Trent Reznor Remix)- Queen

zip

I'm In The Mood For Love- Lord Tanamo
I am a sucker for old ska and reggae covers of pop tunes and standards. I was listening to "This Is Trojan," a 6-LP boxed set and this track stood out on Side 6. Such a joyous groove!

You Better Move On- Travis Wammack
A brilliant arrangement of the Arthur Alexander tune, played like "Inner City Blues" by Marvin Gaye. Hadn't thought about this one in years and then the iPod surprised me.

Darling Be Home Soon- Jules Shear
I decided after the first two tracks, that maybe I'd make this a week of cover versions, so I went with Jules Shear's version of the Spoonful. But it ended here.

And The Night Stood Still- Dion
A great song from a great comeback record. The LP was part of collection I picked up and I gave it a spin.

Nowhere Is My Home- The Replacements
From the unreleased Alex Chilton sessions, and released on the Euro-only LP, "Boink!!," also part of aforementioned collection.

Surreal Estate- Be Bop Deluxe
A new deluxe edition of Be Bop's third, "Sunburst Finish" has just been released. It's my favorite of from the band, and it made me think of "Drastic Plastic," which was my least fave for a long time. I decided to give it a spin after almost 40 years and it knocked me out. Whatever didn't do it for me in 1978, worked in 2018. This is from Side One.

Stone Cold Crazy (Trent Reznor Remix)- Queen
Still high from the NIN show last month and on a Queen kick since the release of the movie. So, of course, this came to mind. I imagine you'll either love it or hate it. I can't see making any new friends of either band with this track.




4 comments:

A walk in the woods said...

I got to meet Travis Wammack once! This was about 4-5 years ago... a couple buddies and I road-tripped over from Atlanta to Birmingham Alabama for a record show (we've been to it 5-6 times) and they gave Travis an award. His whole family was there and they treated him like local royalty, as they should. It was cool.

Anonymous said...

Amen to diggin' those old bluebeat/ska covers; I've got tons (and originals). The stuff's so spirited. And amen to the Wammack track. I had it for some time before I got his old tune 'Scratchy' and realized he was a white guy, so soulful was his take on 'You Better Move On'. Arthur Alexander was soooo good, a classic mash-up of country and soul. And, tho I'm a little late on it, I ended up liking a clutch of those Queen songs you posted as a ZIP. I still find them often too fey and too busy for my tastes, but now I can say I heard more than what I'd heard before to make my judgement. So thanks!
C in California

heartsofstone said...

Very eclectic mix. Especially like the Be Bop Deluxe.

dogbreath said...

I was spitting feathers when I first heard the Queen track remix but have to admit it's grown on me after several spins. Gives the old tune a right royal kick up the arse. Thanks for zipping up. Cheers!