Tuesday, January 15, 2019

A Fine Idea At The Time



I've been obsessed with the Everly Brothers "It Only Costs A Dime" since the day I first discovered it on the b-side of "The Price Of Love." Yes, it's a great little tune, clocking in at less than 2 minutes. But, that intro and the feel and the sound of both the drums and acoustic guitars was appropriated by Elvis Costello for "Brilliant Mistake," the opening cut on "King Of America."

What interests me here is not one artist ripping off another, because once both songs take off, the resemblance, for the most part is over. It's also not a case of two songs sounding the same, like say "What's Going On'" and "Mercy, Mercy Me," both by Marvin Gaye.  I just can't think of another pair of songs that begin precisely the same way, then open up to something completely different. Maybe you can, and over the course of a day's worth of comments, my obsession will wane when I see that this practice is not uncommon at all. Until then, I am shocked that this Everlys/Costello thing, after a Google search,  has only been mentioned three times...all by yours truly. I guess I am easily amused, the older I get.

Okay, carry on.



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I can't place it now, but there's a song that, whenever it starts, I start singing "As soon as you're born, they make you feel small..." as a joke to myself because it sounds like the intro to "Working Class Hero". Maybe it'll come to me, or someone else who've noticed that, too.
C in California

Paul said...

The opening riffs of Alice Cooper - Elected and Jimi Hendrix - Dolly Dagger. From there the songs take off in a different direction.

cmealha said...

The 2 that come to mind are drum intros. "Rock & Roll" by Zeppelin and Elvis' "This Year's Girl" courtesy of Little Richard and The Beatles.

Anonymous said...

Ah, it came to me! "Swan Swan Hummingbird" by REM's intro sounds like Lennon's "Working Class Hero" intro to me.
C in California

Anonymous said...

Great idea for a post though for the life of me, I can't think of an example.

Let me ponder.

Randy

Troy said...

I always thought that Iggy Pop's Lust for Life and that Strokes song (Last Night?) started off the same. At least when I hear the opening, it takes some time for me to figure out which song it is.

bing stills said...

How about Edge of Seventeen - Stevie Nicks and Eye of the Tiger- Survivor. Similar beginnings, though in different keys.

Jared said...

Horace Silver - Song for My Father, Steely Dan - Rikki Don’t Lose That Number

Anonymous said...

I've always heard Howard Melvin and the Blue Notes' "If You Don't Know Me By Now" be appropriated by the Eagles in "Take It To the Limit" in the first thirty or so seconds only to become something different and wonderful. Oh, there are the Spirit and Zeppelin songs, too :)

Paul

Anonymous said...

Elvis Costello's Burnt Sugar and Life On Mars?

Mr Modernist said...

Everly Bros mined once more. There's a certain similarity to the openings of the Brother's "Walk Right Back" and Neil Young's "Harvest Moon", no? I always notch this kind of think up as homage, but maybe there's less to it than that.