Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Oh Rosie! Oh Girl!




The first time I saw Rosie Flores was on an opening slot for Marshall Crenshaw at The Bottom Line, probably early 90's. Crenshaw fans will know of Rosie as the female vocalist on Marshall's beautiful track, "Somewhere Down The Line." I had a few of Rosie Flores' records prior to this live performance, but it was this short set that made me a fan for life.

Since then, she's put out some terrific music, especially strong are her last two for Bloodshot Records, both of which show off her incredible guitar playing. Then, about three years ago, I caught Rosie live again, this time at The Mercury Lounge, with legendary Bowie axeman Earl Slick as her other guitar player. A crazy good show! I had been waiting for the release of her new record with Slick, but nothing ever came of it.




Now, "A Simple Case Of The Blues" has arrived and from what I can tell, Earl Slick is nowhere to be found. But, it is produced by Dylan sideman, another guitar virtuoso, Charlie Sexton, and man alive, this baby is something else. You won't find any new ground covered, but that's fine by me. This is Rosie Flores doing what she does best, and that's the way it should be.






5 comments:

Ken D said...

I'm also a big fan. Rock, country, rockabilly, and now blues. Rosie can do pretty much anything to the left of opera (and who knows, maybe that too).
Saw her a couple of times at Rodeo Bar and once at Hill Country BBQ in Brooklyn. All free shows in small rooms. She tore 'em up each time. The Hill Country show had an audience of about 15 people (that place never bothered to advertise) so Rosie used her set break to meet everybody. The woman couldn't be nicer.

btw, Hill Country Brooklyn has re-opened and their music room has been re-christened "Hank's Saloon" after the old place on Atlantic Ave. I haven't been there yet but noticed that Sal-approved The Electric Mess is playing March 16th.

Anonymous said...

Been digging this for the past few days - she's a queen of versatility.

BTW, I liked your nod to R. Plant with the post title.

Randy

Anonymous said...

my favorite Rosie Flores memory was seeing her in the Pleasure Barons - https://archive.org/details/MN1993-03-27.PleasureBarons

John Peden said...

Sal" 2 comments about yesterday's post #1 Richard Thompson has had ups and downs with his out put but to me he still working the same side of the street with the same tools pretty much. Rosie Flores sounds great a lot like Marcia Ball to my ears. As always Thanks for the tips.

Robin said...

Thanks for sharing, love Rosie. She's like a fine wine- maturity adds a nuance to both singing and playing in some artists and she's one of those artists- she may stay in her (very wide) lane in a sense but she deepens it, grows from within, which makes it seem new even if it isn't. Rosie is so real and true. And now I need to listen to Alejandro Escovedo as well! You always send me down a good path, Sal. Cheers.