Sunday, February 17, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 2/9-2/15



Change of The Guard- Steely Dan
Let's Walk- Charles Brown
Three Persons- Dwight Twilley
One More Rainy Day- Deep Purple
Why Was It So Easy- Daryl Hall
Dismal Day- Bread
The Next Day- David Bowie

zip

Change Of The Guard- Steely Dan
Woke up last Saturday with the earworm, "Oh Michael, Oh Jesus." Had some coffee, pulled out "Can't Buy A Thrill" and played "Change Of The Guard" instead. (Don't ask.)

Let's Walk- Charles Brown
The happiest song I heard all week. Truly infectious.

Three Persons- Dwight Twilley
This was an iPod surprise. From Twilley's debut, which I seem to know half of really well. This was from the other half.

One More Rainy Day- Deep Purple
Found a really clean copy of this for $3 and was reminded just how great this track is, and so unlike what Deep Purple became.

Why Was It So Easy- Daryl Hall
After posting the Shelby Lynne/Daryl clip, I thought of another great duet from the show- this song, with Butch Walker. Here's the original.

Dismal Day- Bread
I don't believe in guilty pleasures and will not hide my love for Bread. This is a classic pop tune that I hadn't heard in some time.

The Next Day- David Bowie
Felt like hearing it.

By the way, an absolute coincidence that three songs have the word "day" in the title.

7 comments:

Squints said...

Just picked up the two JSR discs on Bandcamp. Like 'em both. REALLY like A New Set Of Downs; the new one might be more of a grower. Figured I owed it after you've turned me on to some things that, given our ages, I should have known about didn't, most recently including the Yardbirds' "Goodnight Sweet Josephine." I may break my fingers learning to play that one. 8^)

Squints said...

I will say that "I Love You. Minnie Moore" was a great choice for a single from the new one Nothing Doing."

Anonymous said...

Deep Purple are a band I pretty much dismissed out of hand when I was younger, but I'm coming to appreciate them more and more. Thanks for introducing me to yet another good one that doesn't get played on the radio.

Marc

Sal Nunziato said...

Squints, thanks so much for the JSR purchases and for the kind reviews. Makes me happy you're digging the music.

heartsofstone said...

Agree with you abut Bread. Great combination.

FurryBootsCityBoy said...

Well, of course, it HAD to be "Change Of The Guard"!

cmealha said...

Loving the Dwight Twilley cut.