Sunday, June 23, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 6/15-6/21



You're Doin' It Too Hard- Sir Douglas Quintet
You Drive Me Wild- The Runaways
Holiday- Nazareth
Crumbling Land- Pink Floyd
Beginning (Of The End)- Todd Rundgren w/John Boutte
I Forgot To Be Your Lover- George Faith
Torchlight- Ellen Foley w/The Clash

zip

You're Doin' It Too Hard- Sir Douglas Quintet
First time I heard "You're Doin' It Too Hard" was by Charlie Sexton on a Doug Sahm tribute record. That version kicked my ass and now Sir Doug's is a personal favorite.

You Drive Me Wild- The Runaways
The first two studio albums and the "Live In Japan" album from The Runaways are getting proper vinyl reissues for the first time next month. The news reminded me of how much I love this track.

Holiday- Nazareth
I could not get enough of this track during the summer of 1980. It also took me forever to track it down in a record store, as I kept asking for "Mama Mama Please."

Crumbling Land- Pink Floyd
Just discovered this gem hiding out on the "Zabriskie Point" soundtrack. How does one love a band as much as I love Pink Floyd and only just hear one of their 50 year old songs?

Beginning (Of The End)- Todd Rundgren w/John Boutte
When Sal's Worlds Collide! One of my very favorite singers from New Orleans meets one of my very favorite artists of all time. A beauty.

I Forgot To Be Your Lover- George Faith
My reggae binge continues.

Torchlight- Ellen Foley & The Clash
It was a toss-up between this track and "Hitsville UK."  And...well...


3 comments:

A walk in the woods said...

Never heard of that Pink Floyd song! Looking forward to hearing it and the rest of the mix.

dogbreath said...

Haven't seen "Zabriskie Point" for years but the PF track is a nice reminder. I have a fan-made boot somewhere of an extended soundtrack, but not the movie. And good old Georgie Fame too. Thanks for zipping it all together. Cheers!

hpunch said...

"mama mama please"...... me too!!! Each time the band is mentioned I remember a great Dave Hill joke. "I went to church with my father for Christmas mass. The priest kept going on about Nazareth. I mean, come on. They only had like 2 good songs."