Sunday, June 30, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 6/22-6/28




Police & Thieves- Junior Murvin
Total Destruction To Your Mind- Swamp Dogg
Reggae On Broadway - Bob Marley
Show Biz Kids- Steely Dan
In The Mood- Robert Plant
Matty Groves- Fairport Convention
Back To The Beginning- Bill Bruford

zip

Some quick notes:

I have really been enjoying myself the last month or so, discovering some deep reggae and ska that has eluded me for so long. Amazing early records by Don Drummond, Alton Ellis, The Uniques, The Gaylads, and Rico. Nothing too deep about the Junior or Bob tracks, just two that came to mind as songs of the day.

I saw Robert Plant and Alison Krauss when they toured behind "Raising Sand," and they played Plant's "In The Mood" into Fairport's "Matty Groves." It was a genius segue and I thought about it while organizing the handful of Plant records that I acquired in a recent buy. Thought I'd give it a go here.

Also, in that same collection, were many Yes/King Crimson related records, including many Bill Bruford solo albums. I always loved Bruford's records and it triggered this amazing of memory of Vin Scelsa playing "Back To The Beginning" on WNEW-FM. It didn't feel out of place back in 1980 to hear a Bruford song next to a Little Feat song next to a Clash song on the radio. But thinking about it now, blows my mind. Man, do I miss good radio!



2 comments:

Bill said...

Matty Groves is such a great song and performance by Fairport. It took me a while to warm up to it when I first heard the album, but now it's among my favorite Fairport songs. Can't get enough of those murder ballads!

dogbreath said...

Been having a bit of a Zeppfest recently so it's good to hear old Planty giving it some solo welly. Thank you for the zip. Cheers!