Sunday, September 15, 2019

Songs Of The Week, 2019: 9/7-9/13



A Fool In Love- Frankie Miller
Black Cat Bone- Robert Pete Williams
Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)- Supergrass
Red-Tommy Hoehn & Van Duren
Come Down- The Common Cold
Redrum- Tom Waits
Physical (You're So)- Nine Inch Nails

zip


A Fool In Love- Frankie Miller
Allen Toussaint's favorite singer, this track is not from the Frankie Miller album Toussaint produced, but a fave nonetheless.

Black Cat Bone- Robert Pete Williams
Another from those Jay Miller sessions I wrote about a few months back. Still spinning that series with great pleasure.

Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)- Supergrass
Supergrass announced a tour and both NYC venues sold out before I decided what track I felt like hearing. Considering my condition this week, this seemed like a fun choice. Certainly more fun than finding out tickets for the Webster Hall show are now going for over $400.

Red-Tommy Hoehn & Van Duren
This one took me by surprise a few weeks ago. I've had this record for ages and don't think I ever played it. I'm glad I did.

Come Down- The Common Cold
Was it a coincidence that my friend found this rare single at a shop for $3, making both me and another friend very jealous, and then that night, I come down with the most uncommon cold in my lifetime? You can find this gem on Rhino's West Coast Nuggets box, "Where The Action Is," a killer one off single by The Leaves/The Merry-Go-Round guitarist, Bill Rhinehart, aka The Common Cold.

Redrum- Tom Waits
A short bit of weirdness from Tom Waits, that for whatever reason, hit the right spot.

Physical (You're So)- Nine Inch Nails
Hopefully, you'll dig this as much as I do. As I mentioned in Friday's post, this is Trent Reznor's excellent Adam Ant cover.

2 comments:

dogbreath said...

Been a longtime fan of Frankie Miller, surely one of the best voices in rock music. And with NIN as a coda, another nice zipper. Many thanks & cheers!

Anonymous said...

Dang, that Frankie Miller song was smooooov!!
C in California