Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Supper's Ready




If it were seven 3 minute songs, you’d have no problem. But one 23 minute song?

"Get off my YAAWWNN!"

But guess what? "Supper's Ready," the legendary sidelong epic from Genesis IS seven 3 minute songs and they are all brilliant. It is broken down like this:

Lover's Leap
The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man
Ikhnaton And Itsacon And Their Brand Of Merry Men
How Dare I Be So Beautiful
Willow Farm
Apocalypse In 9/8
As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs

I'd bet there are many long time readers and rockers who have trashed Genesis and their "pretentious" 20 minute songs and have never listened to one note of "Supper's Ready."

The opening, "Lover's Leap," runs a bit under 4 minutes, and it is a lovely piece of British folk/pop, that would not sound out of place on a Cat Stevens or Strawbs record.



"Willow Farm" isn't so far removed from British psychedelia, or for that matter, something The Beatles might have attempted on "Magical Mystery Tour."



And "Apocalypse In 9/8" is quite frankly, some of the best drumming you will ever hear, courtesy of the World's Punching Bag, the amazing Phil Collins.



Don't be afraid. Leave your ass sticks at the door. Give "Supper's Ready" a spin. If you're just not ready for all seven courses, eat lightly with my three selected specials of the day.

This has been your prog rock PSA for Wednesday, 9/18/19.

Get in on it now while all five members of Genesis are still alive.

5 comments:

buzzbabyjesus said...

One of my all-time favorite album sides. A masterpiece.

jef said...

Great call! But, I am partial to every track from this period. Now, expose some tracks from Selling England next and really explode some heads.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the sound of Family.

Interesting, I'll have to investigate more.

Captain Al

Softshoebanana said...

This is brilliant...a school friend in the 70's introduced me to this. He would sit and play air keyboards!!! to all Genesis tracks.
Always preferred Cinema Show or Firth of Fifth myself..but the closing section of Suppers Ready is magnificent.

Robin said...

Yes! This post made smile and feel a bit guilty about my snobbery or at least made me remember that it lurks there still underneath my "I listen to everything!" mantra. :) This is the album that got me into Genesis. I often listen to "Supper's Ready" when preparing dinner, not kidding. I agree with BBJ, a masterpiece side.