Sunday, April 26, 2020

Songs Of The Week, 2020: 4/18-4/24






Teenager In Love- Bob Marley & The Wailers
Sally Go Round The Roses- The Jaynettes
Waves Of Fear- Lou Reed
Holiday In Waikiki- The Kinks
B'Boom- King Crimson
Don't Ever Let Me Know- Bobby Fuller 4
Fat Man- New Orleans Nightcrawlers

zip

Teenager In Love- Bob Marley & The Wailers
A few weeks back, I was reading through a social media thread where a couple of dozen musos expressed their dislike of Bob Marley and the Wailers, EXCEPT for their early Studio One singles. It was one of those typical conversations that make my eyes roll back into my head. "Yeah, and the last good Elvis Costello album was Armed Forces." Oh, please. Hey, I love those early records, especially this one. But there is nothing wrong with "Exodus" and "Burnin'" and  "Natty Dread!" I mean, c'mon!

Sally Go Round The Roses- The Jaynettes
Another one of my favorite records. This one. Nothing sounds like it...except for maybe the other nine songs on the album. Stick with the single.

Waves Of Fear- Lou Reed
You can imagine how many times this phrase has been uttered in the last month or so. I had to listen to the song to get it out of my system.

Holiday In Waikiki- The Kinks
Thinking we can all use a holiday in Waikiki, no? I love this track and the whole of "Face To Face." Some days "Face To Face" is my favorite Kinks album. Some days.

B'Boom- King Crimson
This popped up on the iPod and while it's just an okay bit of drumming, what followed on the iPod was genius! So I had to mix both this and...

Don't Ever Let Me Know- Bobby Fuller 4
...this BFF track. A killer one/two punch!

Fat Man- New Orleans Nightcrawlers
If you've been paying attention, you know it was supposed to be Jazz Fest in New Orleans. The broadcasts on WWOZ.ORG have been fantastic, if a bit melancholy, at least for me. But the new Nightcrawlers album is all fun, and I love it! This one is terrific from head to tail, and "Fat Man" is my fave.

3 comments:

pmac said...

Agree 1000% on the new Nightcrawlers album. Plus, they have set the bar on how to best record a brass band.

Daddykin said...

Great selection! I too love the Jaynettes' "Sally Go Round the Roses"...and ONLY their version! There's something about the echo-y production value that makes their recording the definitive one. Thanks, Sal. Enjoy your Sunday. :)

Zippy the Grateful said...

I'll say it again. Thank you for the work you do on this Blog, Sal. It's one of the things I look forward from my quarantine apartment days. Sincerely, thank you.